Knollician

Bonking ... not feelin' well Problems with Marta's, need help!!

this is an email I sent off to magura today, has anyone had problems like this and have any resolutions?

I purchased Marta SLís 2 weekends ago and completed my 3rd ride on them today. The problem I am having is that the rear brake vibrates violently (high frequency, not like a warped rotor). This problem started on my second ride, my first ride did not require much braking. It vibrates so bad that on a ľ mile downhill, my feet, legs, and torso went numb from it. It also squealed horribly. I went to the cult site and noticed that some noise may be normal due to different frames. I have a Dean Colonel Xlite SS, King ISO rear hub with bolt-on axel. I live in Phoenix Arizona, so the weather is dry and dusty. I have no problems with the front brake.

I have tried the following things from the cult site:
    1. checked my spokes
    2. checked pad and rotor alignment-seems very good
    3. switched rotors from front to rear with no results Ė the rotors appear to be very straight
    4. sanded the brake pads, there was no glazing on them
    5. placed rubber washers on both sides of the bolt

No results!!
    Previous to these brakes I had Hope miniís with no problems at all.

I really like the power of these brakes and I need to get a solution to this problem. Again, the problem is not minor. It is severe. In a very short braking span, the bike vibrates very badly. Thanks for your help.

Bodhisattva
    Have you faced the brake tabs?
    Find a shop with a gnann-o-matt or similar tool & make sure the frame ISO brake tabs are faced & parallel. I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's a good place to start.
    Life....the original terminal illness

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Have you faced the brake tabs?
    Find a shop with a gnann-o-matt or similar tool & make sure the frame ISO brake tabs are faced & parallel. I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's a good place to start.
    Yep, first thing to do is get the fork and frame tabs faced with the Magura (or other) tool.

Second, sometimes (unfortunately) vibrations are just a problem with the entire system: frame, wheel, brake, etc. Every system has a natural frequency, that is, the frequency at which things will vibrate. I had a similar situation with my Seven Ti hardtail and some Hope discs. I was able to eliminate the vibrations by changing the natural frequency of the system. I did this by installing some thin nylon shims between the disc caliper and the frame. This helped to isolate the brake from the frame and changed the natural frequency of my bike. Vibs gone!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com