mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Problems bleeding avid codes

So...
    Went to bleed my Codes with the Avid kit (not my first time bleeding or using that kit, but first time bleeding the codes), and ran into a problem. When I had the syringes hooked into the caliper and lever, I could not depress the plunger on the caliper (rear). Tried the same thing with the lever syringe for the hell of it, and nothing. The brake worked before hand, and fluid would come out of the bleed port, but I could not push fluid through the line for the life of me. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am searching around for an answer for the same thing. I have to push so hard the syringes start leaking before fluid goes through the system.... I've bled these Codes 2 or 3 times already and never had a problem. Now after a few frustrating failed attempts I have no brakes.... Screwed up internals?

mtbr member
    Might be too obvious, but are you loosening the bleed valve?

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The bleed ports on the lever and caliper have screws you need to remove to thread the syringe fitting to. So there is no bleed valve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    so here's a long answer to what I found out, and I hope it helps some:
    for some reason my fronts bled fine and it was just the rears I was having issues with. then after two full bleeds each side, there was no resistance in either lever with the wheel back in. i couldn't even get the pistons to come out and stay out. talked to a lot of my mechanic friends and they had never heard of it either. basically, i bled everything one or two more times because the fluid that was coming out looked like pure crude oil and i figured that there was just a ton of junk in the master cylinder. then for both brakes i would just attach one syringe (did this to both levers and both calipers) and left the wheel out with no brake block so i could try to overfill the system. basically i pumped the lever while depressing the syringe and tried to get the pistons to come out as much as i could. then i pushed the pistons back in (with the system closed up) and put the wheel in and it seemed okay. it's a hell of a lot more work than it should of been but they are better off than when i started, just not to the point I would really like them to be at yet, though. I'll probably ride them like this for a while and then do a few more lever and caliper bleeds to see if that helps. all in all, I hear that avids are generally a pain in the ass. they're not even that good out of the box and you have to bleed them a few times just to get them in good working order. and even then...
    hope this helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    here's an update:
    went to bleed the levers AGAIN, as I said in the previous post I wasn't super stoked even though they were working. basically, I left the wheels in, pulled more air bubbles and even more black fluid out and tried to pressurized the system while I was gently pumping the lever. The front came out perfectly and the rear went so well I had to actually drain some fluid out of it. I think I'm finally good. ironically, I felt one of my long-time mechanic friend's DH brakes and he said they were great and I thought they were terrible. Way too squishy and pulled way close to the grip. didn't inspire confidence. mine engage really quickly and are really firm while the reach is still in a position where I can brake with one finger.
    hope this helps and this is my last installment of the avid code saga...