Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    MC MasterShake
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,846

    Problem w/disc scraping the brake arms.

    I've been riding these Avid Mechanical Disc brakes for about a year and a half now w/o any real problems. Now all of a sudden the disc is running super close to the metal on the outside arm. I had to back the pad on that side all the way out just to get the wheel to move. It runs with a slight rub now but it's not the pad that the disc is rubbing, it's rubbing on the metal on the brakes.

    I tried loosening the allen bolts to re-adjust the alignment and it's pushed as far as it can go and it's still rubbing on the metal. What's hapening here and how do I fix it?

  2. #2
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    Check your wheel alignment

    If it didn't scrape before, but it's scraping now, something has moved. Did your wheel slip in the dropout? Did you do a less-than-ten-point landing and bend your frame/fork? Bike fall on the caliper side and bend the IS tabs? Something's different, and you're the only one with the goods to look at; looking at it is the only way to figger it out.

    --Sparty


    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I've been riding these Avid Mechanical Disc brakes for about a year and a half now w/o any real problems. Now all of a sudden the disc is running super close to the metal on the outside arm. I had to back the pad on that side all the way out just to get the wheel to move. It runs with a slight rub now but it's not the pad that the disc is rubbing, it's rubbing on the metal on the brakes.

    I tried loosening the allen bolts to re-adjust the alignment and it's pushed as far as it can go and it's still rubbing on the metal. What's hapening here and how do I fix it?
    Last edited by Sparticus; 02-25-2004 at 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot the stupid smiley
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  3. #3
    MC MasterShake
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,846
    I think I figured it out. It looks like my hub has completely shifted over about 1/4" inside the wheel. There is no bend in the rim at all but when I look down from the top my wheel is offcenter and the spokes stick out more on one side than the other. Very bizarre. I'm going to hit it with a spoke wrench this weekend to see if I can correct it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    383
    The dish of the wheel will not affect the alignment of the disc rotor. Did you rebuild the front hub lately? Maybe the hub just needs an bearing adjustment. Also I have found that just taking the wheel off and putting back on will change the alignment of disc brakes- so I have marked the hub axle nuts so that I can reinstall the hub into the drop outs the same way every time.

  5. #5
    MC MasterShake
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    The dish of the wheel will not affect the alignment of the disc rotor. Did you rebuild the front hub lately? Maybe the hub just needs an bearing adjustment. Also I have found that just taking the wheel off and putting back on will change the alignment of disc brakes- so I have marked the hub axle nuts so that I can reinstall the hub into the drop outs the same way every time.
    Duh! You're right that wouldn't affect it. I hadn't touched the hub when the problem started. I've tried taking the bearings out and resetting them. It's still the same thing. Maybe something's up with my skewer?

    I have a fork mount roof rack so I've taken the wheel off and on a ton of times and I still get the same alignment problems.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    383
    Something has changed- just it is the wheel or fork? Might want to try another disc wheel and see if it lines up correctly- if it does then the wheel is the problem- if not then the fork maybe tweaked. One more thought- bent front axle?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Duh! You're right that wouldn't affect it. I hadn't touched the hub when the problem started. I've tried taking the bearings out and resetting them. It's still the same thing. Maybe something's up with my skewer?

    I have a fork mount roof rack so I've taken the wheel off and on a ton of times and I still get the same alignment problems.
    Bent axle maybe, but more likely you're qr skewer has moved in the dropouts or your dropouts are off spec tolerances. Just get a 20mm through axle/fork combo and you'll never have that problem again. The '03 Monster T should do the trick and it's only $680 at pricepoint.com

Similar Threads

  1. stripped brake post problem
    By chirider990 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 07:39 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:05 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
  4. Please help me diagnose my brake problem -Avids
    By litespeedchick in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •