mtbr member
    Jun 2012

problem with Tektro Draco hydraulic discs

I have a Specialized Camber Comp 26er with Tektro Draco disc brakes. I've got about 600 miles on the bike and starting about a 2 weeks ago my rear brake lever has gone completely soft. It wasn's a gradual change, but ovenight. My front brake works fine, just very noisy.

The rear brake lever is soft and goes all the way to the grip before the rear brakes work. I cleaned the rotor and pads with auto brake cleaner, recentered the caliper on the rotor and that didn't help. I took the wheel off and visually inspected the brake pads. One of the pads is like new and the other is about 50% worn. I verified that the piston on the unworn side works by pushing the other pad in and squeezing the lever. The piston on the unworn pad extends, so its not jammed. Should I take it to the LBS and have the rear bled or is there something else going on here?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Definitely get it bled and inspected to see how the air got in. And see if maybe there's some contamination on the unworn pads that's causing them not to work properly.

mtbr member
    I had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago with the Dracos. Turned out it was a combination of pad fouling and needing a bleed. New pads on it and a couple ml of mineral oil and wiped all of the rear brake components/pistons with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the oil residue and it's a new brake again. It seems that the seal on the piston isn't 100% and little tiny amounts of oil escape and eventually build up on the inner surfaces of the caliper and pad and even after a bleed the 50% worn pad just isn't enough stopping power. Swap the pad and clean/bleed and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I dropped it off at the LBS last night. I'll report back what they find.