mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Problem with tektro draco

Hi, I just want to ask for help with my fellow mtbr forum member. Its about my brakes, the othe day I adjusted the brake lever to make it closer to the bar so my fingers can reach it real well but after I adjusted it I've notices that the braking power has gone, I can still brake but not as powerful as before I adjusted the lever. Do I need to do something to bring back the stopping power. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a friend whose brakes are these. Sort of same thing happened to his brakes, levers felt spongy, no braking power at all. I say bin it and get Shimano replacements.

Otherwise, have it bled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks , I think ill just follow ur advise to bin it and buy a new set, since bleed kit and pads cost morethan half of the new brakeset.
    Shimano xt or slx?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got no experience with XT brakes. I currently use M675 SLX. I've read/heard a lot saying the 2012 XT brakes are awesome. Also have read/heard some having QC issues with the same XT brakes (leaks from the reservior or caliper, some having replaced the whole thing because the leaks couldn't be solved). Take note, seems there are some 2012 XT lemons, and there are some that are just perfect. I've seen two guys with the same brakes, one having no complaints, the other pissed off because his leaks.

It's because of those issues with the 2012 XT brakes (I didn't want to gamble by spending on something that could be from the lemon batch) that I went with the cheaper but very good M675 SLX (basically the M666 but with some very slight cosmetic and negligible weight differences). I've had zero problems with the M675 and have found them stopping my 200+lbs + roughly 30lb bike on the trail using Avid G3CS 160mm (only) rotors. Prior to M675, I was using the 2012 Deore hydros which were ok, but the 675 makes it feel night and day.

That said...

If you want stopping power, get the XT - just hope the one you got won't have any leakage issues.

If you want something cheaper but works just the same or sorta as XT - get the SLX

Your choice.

noob
    hi i have tektro draco brakes on giant revel 1..can any1 help me the front disc makes a slight grinding noise when it turns how do i fix this??...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Either your calipers up front are not mounted properly, or the rotor needs alignment, which probably causes the grinding sound you hear (rotor hitting the pad). If the caliper isn't centered, just loosen the bolts, put some plastic card on either side of the rotor, and press the front brake. While brake is pressed, tighten the bolts and then release brake lever. That ought to center the front brake. There are Youtube videos on how to do that.

As for misaligned rotors, again, Youtube vids show how to straighten these up.

HTH.

noob
    thanks for reply followed some youtube video on caliper adjustment and noise has improved alot..only problem now its still making contact in one spot ever so slight where as before seemed to be all the way round....how would i fine tune this and p.s..i didnt use the card just unfasten bolts pressed brake and tightened again

noob
    silent now thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tryinghardrider View Post
    I've got no experience with XT brakes. I currently use M675 SLX. I've read/heard a lot saying the 2012 XT brakes are awesome. Also have read/heard some having QC issues with the same XT brakes (leaks from the reservior or caliper, some having replaced the whole thing because the leaks couldn't be solved). Take note, seems there are some 2012 XT lemons, and there are some that are just perfect. I've seen two guys with the same brakes, one having no complaints, the other pissed off because his leaks.

It's because of those issues with the 2012 XT brakes (I didn't want to gamble by spending on something that could be from the lemon batch) that I went with the cheaper but very good M675 SLX (basically the M666 but with some very slight cosmetic and negligible weight differences). I've had zero problems with the M675 and have found them stopping my 200+lbs + roughly 30lb bike on the trail using Avid G3CS 160mm (only) rotors. Prior to M675, I was using the 2012 Deore hydros which were ok, but the 675 makes it feel night and day.

That said...

If you want stopping power, get the XT - just hope the one you got won't have any leakage issues.

If you want something cheaper but works just the same or sorta as XT - get the SLX

Your choice.
    Thanks for the great advice. I think ill just go with the slx since I also researched the 2012 xt and like u said more people are having issues and I don't want to buy it so I will not have issues with the tektro but ended up with another issue with the xt.
    What's the difference between the 675 and 666?