mtbr member
    May 2009

Problem with new Avid G3 Clean Sweep 160s

I am putting a new set of Mavic Crosslands on my 08 GF Piranha. The original rims are Bontrager with the Shimano centerlock 160s. I had to buy some new rotors with 6-bolt for the Mavic wheels so I got Avid G3 CLean Sweep 160s. I went to put the front wheel on and the wheel will only turn about 1/2 inch or so at the outside edge of the rotor (160mm from the center). They are brand new rotors and I measured them at 6.25 inches which is 158.75mm. It might help to know that I am pretty new to bike upgrades, so it could be something simple, any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...is the rotor rubbing so bad the wheel barely turns? What calipers are you using? Did you reposition the calipers?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    sounds like you are using shimano brakes with Avid rotors???

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Got it, thanks. I was in a hurry to test fit and had not tightened all of the screws on the rotor down. Two of the screw heads were rubbing the fork, Doh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey, much better to discover rotor isn't screwed down while bike still in the shop than to discover same while on the trail!!