mtbr member
    Jan 2008

problem mounting BB5

I got my BB5 from online.
    Tried mounting it myself but the Avid adaptor given does not match the caliper.
    The adaptor will touch the caliper and i'll need a spacer between the adaptor and caliper.
    without the spacer, the bolt could not be tighten as the 2 sides of the adaptor count not reach the caliper.
    Anyone know what's the problem with it?

notice the screw nut between the adaptor and caliper.
    Last edited by ivantcs; 01-22-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Meh.
    You left out the CPS stack (conical washers) that are supposed to be fitted between the caliper and the adapter as well as between the caliper and the bolt-head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup....

without the cps washer stack you have just another mechanical disc brake that's going to be a pain to set up. Not only does the cps system space the caliper vertically in the adapter, it also allows for a limited amount of compensation for frame mounts that aren't quite concentric. This helps ensure that your pads are square with the rotor in all dimensions when properly set up. If the system didn't come with them, then contact the seller and get them. They are very handy.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

...idios...
    Are the CPS washers the same as the washers that would typically be fitted to V brake pads to assist with alignment? Even if they aren't, I'm sure the V brake versions could be used, perhaps with a few extra washers, to get the disc caliper set up. I don't have any experience with the Avids, so just thinking out loud...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I did not get the CPS.
    Is it possible to purchase it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivantcs
    I did not get the CPS.
    Is it possible to purchase it?
    Go to your LBS, see if they have any lying around... If not, ask to see their cheapest set of v-brake pads and see if they have those washers on them. If they do, a set of pads will cost roughly 5-10 bucks, pick up a set (or two if you are running into the same problem in the front and the rear) and just transfer those washers over to the bb5.

Meh.
    You can buy them too. The CPS hardware kit with the bolts and the washers cost about 3 bucks. But more than likely your LBS will have a few of these conical washers sitting around. Though there is no problem with just using flat washers to make up for the stack height of the CPS washers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ok. thanks for the info.

Calm Like a Bomb
    looks like u have the wrong adaptor for the rear....i would suggest get the cps bolts and the right adaptor....cps should be free or like $5...adaptor will be $10
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    PricePoint has the CPS bolt and washers. I had to buy a set after my dog ate (no $hit) a couple of the conical washers while I had it all apart.