mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Problem with Juicy 7 performance

I think I have a problem with the way my Juicy 7's are performing. I'm hesitant as these are the first disc brakes I have tried so not sure what to expect, my old bike having v brakes.

Basically I am disappointed in the grip between pad and disc and therefore the feel and ability to stop me and the bike. The lever feels ok, not spongy or anything like that but it just doesn't feel like the pads are biting very well.

The bike is second-hand brought from my local shop and is about 2 years old. I have checked the pads and they have meat left on them so I am thinking that either I have contaminates on the disc/pad or the pads have glazed or the system needs bleeding, although it doesn't feel like this is the case, or something else.

I may be expecting too much as I am a healthy 90ish Kg's so there is a fair bit of weight to haul up but when I am on downhill sections, nothing to fast as I have lost my bravery gene as I have got older, I am using the brakes to control my decent speed and I feel like it is not going to stop me Just don't feel confident in them. As I say these are not daredevil DH sections, just mild stuff in the forest.

My plan so far is to buy some disc cleaner and give that a go. Perhaps deglaze the pads or just buy some new pads. Try forcing any air out of the system by tie wrapping the lever back to the bar over night.

Failing this, go up a rotor size from 185 to 203?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Juicys are capable of pitching you over the bars with just one finder on the front, anything less and they're not working the best.

Clean your rotors and replace you pads.

I regularly sand my pads a touch to reomve any glazing. A real good way to clean pads and rotors is to ride along, brake applied enough to need some effort to pedal and at the same time pouring clean water into the caliper...can be tricky. I tend to find that you can feel an alost immediate increase in power.

Hope this is useful

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thought they were a bit down on the expected performance, thanks for the confirmation.

I will clean the rotors and fit new pads and see what effect that has, hopefully a positive one I'll bleed if still not very good.

Interesting cleaning proceedure, bet that is easy to end up in a heap on the floor

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Agree, Juicy's should be more than enough power, but go to larger rotor on the front if your doing a lot of long steep hills where you find it fatiguing to scrub the speed safely.

If the brakes haven't been maintained or tuned up probably worth doing the following in this order:

1) New pads & clean the rotor with alcohol.
    2) Bleed the system (brakes should feel snappy at the lever, engage quick with little effort)
    3) Install Goodridge brake lines (increases performance more than you might think)
    3) Disassemble and overhaul the calipers
    4) Disassemble and overhaul the levers
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did the first one last week and they are noticeably better Now waiting for my local shop to get the bleed kits in and I will have a go and the second. I think I am back on track with them now and really just waiting for the new pads to bed in properly.

Will try and go for a ride this weekend if the rain holds off long enough

Meh.
    Take out those new pads when you bleed so you don't accidentally spill DOT fluid and ruin them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ah, good point ta