I love bike!

Problem with Juicy 5

Last number of rides I've been experiencing slop in the lever for my front brake. It gets a good half inch of slop where the lever doesn't feel like it's working. It's kind of intermittent and will be fine sometimes but then gets crappy again. I don't think I'm doing anything to overheat the brakes or anything. Although when this problem starts in the middle of a ride I can't help but feather the brake a little on descents to make sure I've got some brakes left.

Does this just sound like a bleed/maintenance issue or something more serious? One of my thoughts was that the piston in the caliper is getting stuck and not rebounding or something. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    I had 3 warranty replacements for a similar issue.It was actually the piston in the reservoir that was sticking.Crap can get in and it just eats the little plunger in there.I ended up buying a lever rebuild kit on the 3rd set and selling the brakes.

I love bike!
    ibbo. Thx for the reply. Now that you mention that it seems I've heard others have had that issue as well. Is the rebuild a fairly straight forward fix or is there special tools and/or expertise required? Fairly inexpensive?

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    It's fairly straight forward and takes about 30 mins or so.You can download an exploded diagram off SRAMs website.It also lists all the part codes and step by step instructions can be found on Youtube etc.
    The kit was around 20 IIRC.