Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Problem with Hayes!

I can't get them to stop rubbing!!!!!!! The rear rotor is warped which I can't seem to get straight, but I also can't see much if any clearence in there any ways.
    Should I push the pistons in or something??! How do I do this?
    You think I should get a spare rotor aswell?! How about the new hayes wavy rotor? Do you know if they are any lighter then the norm?
    BTW both front and back rub, so if you could help me out with the back with the slightly wapred rotor that I can't seem to get stragiht then I could try it on the front.
    Thanks

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Does it only rub in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I can't get them to stop rubbing!!!!!!! The rear rotor is warped which I can't seem to get straight, but I also can't see much if any clearence in there any ways.
    You think I should get a spare rotor aswell?! How about the new hayes wavy rotor? Do you know if they are any lighter then the norm?
    BTW both front and back rub, so if you could help me out with the back with the slightly wapred rotor that I can't seem to get stragiht then I could try it on the front.
    Thanks
    If it only rubs in the rear, then I would say it is rotor warpage related; however, if it is rubbing in the front with a straight rotor then it is set up related. You can pull the pads out and push back gently on the pistons with a plastic tire iron. Then put the pads back in and you should be set.

Hayes evetually wear out and need a bit of a rebuild. My buddy had problems with his rubbing after 4 years. Universal Cycles rebuilt it and he was set. Also, bleeding is not a bad idea if you have had the brakes for a while.

My Hayes only rub on really hairy turns because my fork flexes a bit. Oh, they rub a bit when water and muck get stuck in there.

Good luck,

Jaybo

Do It Yourself
    Thanks
    Did you check out the Disc Brake FAQ???? Check the upper right hand corner of the page.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks
    Try this: Flip the bike over. Loosen screws that attach the caliper to the adapter. clamp the brake lever. Tighten caliper screws while still holding lever. Should be mostly rub free now.

Forked!

Use 2 business cards...

slightly loosen the screws the attch the adapter. slide a business card on each side of the rotor and squeeze the brake lever and retighten. This has helped me in the past. If you have ever clamped the brake without the wheel in place then you may need to push the pistons back in first. Good Luck.
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]