mtbr member

Problem with disc brakes

So I hit the side of a curb yesterday on my commute to avoid a speeding car and I threw something out of whack.

My disc is rubbing against the calipers on the front tire (the one that hit the curb). I tried loosening the bolts on the calipers while holding the brake engaged and then tapped on it a couple times to try and get it back into place. This didn't do anything.

When I put the bike upside down and spin the wheel it doesn't take long for the friction to stop the wheel. When I loosen the quick release it spins freely. Does this mean the wheel is out of whack and not the calipers? Hard to see with the naked eye but the disc looks very strait to me.

Thanks for any and all help!

Trevor

mtbr member
    May be the fork got tweaked. When you look at the bike, does the front wheel stay parallel to the fork on both sides?

mtbr member
    It is parallel. So I fiddled with it a little more and now the disc doesn't rub but the wheel has a pretty good wobble to it. To the naked eye I can't see any bend in the rim or spokes. Can a low impact wreck cause the wheel to need truing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah it could. If it's wobbling, that may be your answer.

Just in case you didn't do this, loosen the axle and make sure the wheel is centered first and check again, in case it slipped in the dropouts...if it has them.

If it's wobbling though it's likely just out of true. Also likely it could be pulled straight again too on a truing stand if there aren't any bad dents in it.