Save Jesus

Preventing sticky pistons?

This seems to be a common problem with hydraulic brakes, and seems to be caused by dirt getting stuck between the piston and caliper body.

So I was thinking, how about something like a very thin and flexible concave disk that fits between the piston and brake pad. The diameter of this disk would be larger than the piston. Wouldn't this act like a shield that keeps dirt out of the junction?

Singapore
    Feb 2009
    something like a glove? and the caliper is the "wrist"? and the piston as the "finger"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    just like any other disc/caliper setup out there .. you have to do PM to them every so often... pull caliper, pull pads, squeeze pistons out a bit, clean with toothbrush (i use purple power as my cleaner), wash off with water, blow dry, push pistons back in,, put pads back in, go ride..... this is how i do it for all my vehicles....(bikes,motorcycles,cars etc)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    just like any other disc/caliper setup out there .. you have to do PM to them every so often... pull caliper, pull pads, squeeze pistons out a bit, clean with toothbrush (i use purple power as my cleaner), wash off with water, blow dry, push pistons back in,, put pads back in, go ride..... this is how i do it for all my vehicles....(bikes,motorcycles,cars etc)

Just do this every time you change your pads, and you won't have sticky pistons.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.