mtbr member

Prev. Gen. Shim. Brakes, SLX vs. XT?

I need a set brakes for my next bike build. I run gripshifters so I'm not a fan of the stubby current generation of Shimano levers but I do like Shimano brakes performance and reliability better than anything else i've tried. So I'm looking for deals on a set of previous generation Shimano brakes XT m775's or SLX m665's. (2011 model year)

I see the differences on paper--the slight weight difference, the somewhat less slight price difference, the differences in brake pad material and caliper construction. But functionally, is there a reason to spend the $60ish more for XT over SLX? I'm on a bit of a budget but that's not enough to make or break me. Still, it's not chump change either.

They're going on a FS trail bike but where I ride the terrain is more rolling than mountainous so prolonged descents aren't really something I need to factor in except for the occasional road trip...
    Last edited by SteveF; 12-18-2012 at 05:15 AM.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Im pretty sure there's almost no difference, Go with SLX or the M595 Deore, I had Deore's on the Z29 and they braked pretty good actually for cheap brakes.