mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Prep disc brake mounts?

I am building my first bike with discs. The mounts are IS. My new frame has the rear mounts machined clean. The mounts on the new fork (RS), however, are painted and not machined. Do the fork mounts need to be prepped in some way before installing the caliper? Thanks in advance.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by sweathog
    I am building my first bike with discs. The mounts are IS. My new frame has the rear mounts machined clean. The mounts on the new fork (RS), however, are painted and not machined. Do the fork mounts need to be prepped in some way before installing the caliper? Thanks in advance.
    Not a necessity, but people often have it done to help get their alignment more precise or to cure problems (i.e. howl or rubbing). I had mine done (using a gnano-mat). I didn't notice any differences to be honest, but I figured I might as well eliminate all the variables that I could.

If you are a Magura Cult member, I think they have a deal where you can borrow one or something like that. You could ask your LBS if they have one, but I would doubt they do.

UKMac

Face them and remove any doubt

Quote Originally Posted by sweathog
    The most common mistake people make when installing disk brakes is not facing the mounts. Any GOOD shop can do it and it will make for a better performing brake. My friend the Fox dealer (local LBS) won't let any fork leave his shop without facing the mounts (included in the price).