mtbr member

Pre-2008 Magura Marta SL problems

Picked up some older Marta SL brakes off of the classifieds a couple months ago, they're in great shape and the lines are the perfect length for my bike. Just to clarify these are the Marta SL's with the I.S. calipers.

My rear brake is working awesome. No drag, great power. No problems what so ever.

My front brake has some problems though. When I spin the wheel I can hear a periodic rubbing that I assume is from a warped rotor. I will be ordering new rotors later this week.

Besides the warped rotor, the front brake is way low on power. When I pull the lever I slowly come to a stop and the brake squeals. It feels like I could ride around while enganging my front brake.

What gives? Are the new rotors going to fix this? Been riding for about 7 years now but this is my first disc brake setup.

Thanks guys.

T.W.O.
    Check the pad. Search immobilize piston. A good bleed would also help.

mtbr member
    I followed the instructions on magura's site for fixing an immobilized piston, doesn't seem to help.

What do you mean check the pads?

Would a bleed really give me more power/quiet the brakes down? The lever engages at a reasonable spot.

I'm still a noob with disc brakes.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    your pads may be contaminated with brake fluid,oil,chain lubricant....etc. try new pads and after the "break-in" period the brake should be working at full power.

Low Rep Count
    Between new pads and the potential that the lines need to be bled, I bet you solve the problem.

If you aren't comfy doing the bleed, I would just take it to a shop and have them do it and install the new pads at the same time.

Members who have read this thread: 1