Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Uncle

Post your Shimano disc brake complaints here!!!

I'm considering buying a set of XTR levers to enhance the performance of my m765 disc brakes. I have a set of m775s on my new bike, and thus far, they're exactly what I want in a brake system -- good feel, adequate power & modulation, easy set up. So why am I looking for complaints? Based on what I've found via searches, there isn't much explanation as to why there are so many lever sets and parts for both the XTs and the XTR brakes for sale for so cheap. Did they just over produce them? Perhaps, but if folks are having issues with leaks or performance, I want to know before I make my purchase.

Air out your stanky laundry here, folks. What do you hate most about your (not looking for non-owner bashing here) latest generation Shimano disc brakes?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Underweight Rider
    Using SLX, love it, no leaks, adequate power and modulation and sweet pricing.....only 1 quip..Shimano should make MORE BLING STUFFS!!!!
    Those excess lever sets and parts you mentioned for sale cheap are mostly over stock inventory from the OEM channel....even mine is hence the great deals.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have several sets of shimanos with different levers for a couple of years now...and no big issues so far...

I agree with AznRider, slow economy + a bit of overstock cause prices to drop

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Air out your stanky laundry here, folks. What do you hate most about your (not looking for non-owner bashing here) latest generation Shimano disc brakes?
    Have had trouble with a set of XT 775's in the winter, the sticky piston problem. When it's not cold out, I love em.

Also have two sets of SLX, great performance similar to XT, and they work fine in the cold.

Uncle

What do you mean by "cold"?

Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    Have had trouble with a set of XT 775's in the winter, the sticky piston problem. When it's not cold out, I love em.

Also have two sets of SLX, great performance similar to XT, and they work fine in the cold.
    Hey lyndonchen, with "cold" being a relative thing, tell me: Where do you ride, and what kind of temps are you talking about?

Thus far, the general sense I get from reading is that the calipers can sometimes be finicky. So -- no one having issues with the levers? Also, ServoWave adjustment aside & weight aside, are there any power or performance benefits with the XTR levers over XT, or vice versa?

Thanks again.

ballbuster

I did a rain ride once...

I'm considering buying a set of XTR levers to enhance the performance of my m765 disc brakes. I have a set of m775s on my new bike, and thus far, they're exactly what I want in a brake system -- good feel, adequate power & modulation, easy set up. So why am I looking for complaints? Based on what I've found via searches, there isn't much explanation as to why there are so many lever sets and parts for both the XTs and the XTR brakes for sale for so cheap. Did they just over produce them? Perhaps, but if folks are having issues with leaks or performance, I want to know before I make my purchase.

... down to Rodeo Beach in Marin, and they developed sticky jammed pistons. Once I cleaned them up, they were fine.

I'm not sure XTR levers are going to do anything for you that your XTs aren't doing now, except do it 40 grams lighter.

Yeah, good feel, almost as good as my Hope Mono Minis. I got some '07 XTRs and mated them to LX flippy shifters.

From Fantom29er

From Fantom29er

From Fantom29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey lyndonchen, with "cold" being a relative thing, tell me: Where do you ride, and what kind of temps are you talking about?
    I'm in Denver CO. The problem seems to crop up when temps drop below freezing.

mtbr member
    I've heard a couple guys complain about the XT/XTR brakes when it's below zero but they complained about the Avid Ultimates too.

Chillin the Most
    Several sets of Shimano hydro brakes = zero complaints. Now hayes, that's a whole other bucket of worms.

mtbr member
    Until 2008 I would have said Shimano brakes were great but one by one Shimano has moved their stupid servo wave design onto more of their brakes and they’re all rubbish. They’re too hard to bleed, even without seal problems and sticky pistons they work poorly in cold conditions, they’re powerful enough but not compared to the competition, they don’t work 100% with anything but Shimano mineral oil, they’re totally unreliable, the sintered pads lack power and the organic ones have the power but get contaminated far too easily. Their customer service and apparent love of sending buckled discs out is also really bad. The only good things about their brakes are the modulation and lever blade design. I’m using Hayes now, much better…

mtbr member
    I tried a few brake setups and I ended up with 2007 XT's on 8" F& R.

I will NEVER touch any brake products from Avid again...they are the "****"niz.

Only complaint I have with Shimano are the XTR...found they flexed too much. problem fixed with the XT's. Money well spent because they really work! I decided to not follow the croud and stick with 6-bolt rotors instead of centerlock because Shimano hubs are crap to begin with

I just love these brakes. Who ever disses them is a Sram/Avid follower. I am a true Shimano follower...especially with their new Shadow der. I LOVE Hope products too like my new Pro Hub II and my seat clamp. haha.

thx.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by gdl357
    Only complaint I have with Shimano are the XTR...found they flexed too much. problem fixed with the XT's.
    Was the caliper flexing, or the lever? Thanks for the feedback all.

mtbr member
    Was the caliper flexing, or the lever? Thanks for the feedback all.
    Problem is where they bolt up to the frame.

See the difference. The XTR has thin tabs to distribute the force. The XT uses the adaptor which is MUCH thicker and therefore does not flex.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meh.
    It shouldn't matter... Lots of calipers use IS style mounts. There are very few forces acting perpendicular to the plane of the mounting surface. When braking, it should put the front arm in compression and the rear arm in tension. There should be very few (if any) torsional/side to side forces acting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It shouldn't matter... Lots of calipers use IS style mounts. There are very few forces acting perpendicular to the plane of the mounting surface. When braking, it should put the front arm in compression and the rear arm in tension. There should be very few (if any) torsional/side to side forces acting.
    put on some 8" rotors and see how the XTR flex. Its only getting pushed from one side, there is your side to side movement. I owned them both and i saw the diff.

mbtr member
    I tried a few brake setups and I ended up with 2007 XT's on 8" F& R.

I will NEVER touch any brake products from Avid again...they are the "****"niz.

Only complaint I have with Shimano are the XTR...found they flexed too much. problem fixed with the XT's. Money well spent because they really work! I decided to not follow the croud and stick with 6-bolt rotors instead of centerlock because Shimano hubs are crap to begin with

I just love these brakes. Who ever disses them is a Sram/Avid follower. I am a true Shimano follower...especially with their new Shadow der. I LOVE Hope products too like my new Pro Hub II and my seat clamp. haha.

thx.
    Funny, my sets of juicies are flawless and my shimano centerlock hubs were cheap, fast rolling, well sealed, and easy to service. I can take my centerlock rotors off in 1/5th the time it takes me to deal with 6 stupid torx bolts, and they're lighter. To each his own, i guess...

You can buy XTR calipers in post mount or IS varieties.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

Meh.
    put on some 8" rotors and see how the XTR flex. Its only getting pushed from one side, there is your side to side movement. I owned them both and i saw the diff.
    What do you mean it's only getting pushed from one side? It's an opposing two piston brake. It clamps onto the rotor. And the rotor flexes very easily... long before the caliper will start to flex... look at single piston/mechanical disc brakes. The flex should be showing in the bridge of the caliper. The larger rotor would not create more flex in the bridge. There are no side forces acting on the mounts. As I said, it will put the arms in compression and tension. Yes, the larger rotor would affect that. The XT relies on those little steel bolts to hold it all together, and they're up to the task. I think the solid chunk of forged aluminum should be just fine... The rotational force or torque applied to those mounts should be relatively low.

I've had several sets of Juicies, they all worked fine. The Elixirs are great. The Codes are phenomenal, though a bit difficult to bleed.

I've had Shimano hubs. They're super easy to maintain and they roll well. The engagement is meh.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 12-19-2008 at 12:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What do you mean it's only getting pushed from one side? It's an opposing two piston brake. It clamps onto the rotor. And the rotor flexes very easily... long before the caliper will start to flex... look at single piston/mechanical disc brakes. The flex should be showing in the bridge of the caliper. The larger rotor would not create more flex in the bridge. There are no side forces acting on the mounts. As I said, it will put the arms in compression and tension. Yes, the larger rotor would affect that. The XT relies on those little steel bolts to hold it all together, and they're up to the task. I think the solid chunk of forged aluminum should be just fine... The rotational force or torque applied to those mounts should be relatively low.

I've had several sets of Juicies, they all worked fine. The Elixirs are great. The Codes are phenomenal, though a bit difficult to bleed.

I've had Shimano hubs. They're super easy to maintain and they roll well. The engagement is meh.
    I thought the Shimano calipers were single piston.

I'm 260lbs...I'll make the XTR flex if you want me to....thats all I'm trying to say. I am not challenging you Will.

Anyways, I hate Avid brakes, starting from the BB5 to the Codes. I tried them all. Their machining tolerances are way to slack for me. To me they are just another "made in China part" that had some great marketing to get the hype flowing.. Shimano is a better product in my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    Funny, my sets of juicies are flawless and my shimano centerlock hubs were cheap, fast rolling, well sealed, and easy to service. I can take my centerlock rotors off in 1/5th the time it takes me to deal with 6 stupid torx bolts, and they're lighter. To each his own, i guess...
    Sometimes all the above gets pushed aside just because of SOUND. I LOVE the way my Hope hubs Sound...

Meh.
    Weight does not make the brake flex more... A brake can only produce so much power. Look at it from an engineering point of view.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I thought the Shimano calipers were single piston.
    Shimano calipers are not single piston, they are dual, coming from both sides.

As for me, I've been using my 08 XT's for about 2.5 months now. I really like them overall, in terms of power modulation, etc. I think my rear has a sticky piston in the cold though, the lever "pumps up" when the brake is squeezed a bunch of times in quick succession, meaning that the contact point gets a bit farther out in the lever travel. In warm weather though, its no big deal.

My main complaint though is the routing of the hoses. I know I've posted this before, it just really irks me. There's no 90 degree banjo available either, I've checked a number of places.

Also, its annoying that the brakes don't come with rotors. I worked at a shop when I bought my brakes, and I ended up with Hayes rotors (and rear adaptor) due to the lower shop cost. I'm using 160 front, 140 rear, fwiw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nnn
    mtbr member
    Only complaint about Shmano brakes is that they don't sell them for free...
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sometimes all the above gets pushed aside just because of SOUND. I LOVE the way my Hope hubs Sound...
    So by "crap" you mean too quiet then?

I've had two sets of 765s, one of which is still on my SS. They're great, once you swap the pads out for something like galfer reds. My only real gripe is that they aren't rebuild able. They don't have the feel or the power of my hope 4 pots, but they can be had for FAR less money.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have got the old-first generation- 4 pot XT,s that are still flawless. Would like to move them around but need new hoses.
    Is there an alternative for the heavy- , braided- banjo equiped OEM lines?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    I have got the old-first generation- 4 pot XT,s that are still flawless. Would like to move them around but need new hoses.
    Is there an alternative for the heavy- , braided- banjo equiped OEM lines?
    I'm running these one one (of two sets) of my 4-pots and have been very happy with them. The "kit #1" includes both in-line and 90-degree fittings for older and newer shimano brakes.

Linky

Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe
    My main complaint though is the routing of the hoses. I know I've posted this before, it just really irks me. There's no 90 degree banjo available either, I've checked a number of places.
    These are available actually- I recently bought some at my LBS. They come stock with some generations of XTR calipers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast