mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Post Mount or IS for Rear caliper

I will be replacing my brakes very soon and have a choice between a PM or IS rear caliper for the Hope Mono Mini Pro brakes. Obviously my rear mount is 51MM IS, but is there any reason to get the PM Caliper and use an adapter instead? I am not worried about weight, so that is not an issue. I currently have the the pre 2007 XTR brakes and have a 51MM IS caliper in the rear. I use shims to center the caliper, so I assume that would be the same for the Hope 51MM IS caliper. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I just ordered my new brakes. Decided to go with the IS for the rear caliper. No need for an adapter. Looking forward to receiving them. Hope Mono Mini Pro. Had been using XTR DC levers for about 5 years. Time for some new brakes and trigger shifters. I hope I will be happy!!!

Double-metric mtb man
    My Mono M4's were the first set I had with an IS rear. Took a little longer to set-up initially, but after that I've had no issues.

Main advantages are that it saves the weight of an adapter and is a little less fuss once set-up, disadvantages are that you need a new caliper if you change rotor size and it is harder to adjust if you change wheels.

Hope (pardon the pun) you enjoy the new brakes
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me