Need More Bikes

IS to post mount adapter

I have a 2011 kona steely with 180mm discs on a rockshox tora 289. The brakes are IS.

I recently swapped the tora to a 2012 reba with post mount brakes. The brakes are avid juicy 3's

What adapter do i need to buy and wheres the best place to get one? Thanks.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    So you want to put the Avid Juicy 3 (PM caliper) onto a 2012 Rockshox Reba (PM fork) with a 180mm rotor ?

If so you'll need a 180mm PM to PM adapter.

This is the adapter you'll need, lots of shops sell them for about the same price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hmm, if I understand correctly you have a new RS Reba with PostMount and you have Avid J3 which are IS... I've personally never seen any Avid brakes with IS mounts but to answer your question you need a PM to IS 180 mm adapter Front. I've never seen such adapter myself but I'm sure if you look hard enough...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernas View Post
    Hmm, if I understand correctly you have a new RS Reba with PostMount and you have Avid J3 which are IS... I've personally never seen any Avid brakes with IS mounts but to answer your question you need a PM to IS 180 mm adapter Front. I've never seen such adapter myself but I'm sure if you look hard enough...
    ALL Avid brakes ship with an IS bracket. Remove the IS bracket and it is post mount.
    Cobba's reply is correct.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    ALL Avid brakes ship with an IS bracket. Remove the IS bracket and it is post mount.
    Cobba's reply is correct.
    Yup I understand that. It's just that amgine said his juicy 3's are IS which would mean they are something like this and in this case he would need something like this to properly install them on the new Reba. In reality though cobba is probably right unless the OP actually has some unusual Juicys.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Yup I understand that. It's just that amgine said his juicy 3's are IS which would mean they are something like this and in this case he would need something like this to properly install them on the new Reba. In reality though cobba is probably right unless the OP actually has some unusual Juicys.
    The Juicy 3 is a PM caliper not a IS caliper.

The 2011 Kona Steely has a IS mount Tora fork with Post Mount Juicy 3 brake.
    The wording of the original post is a bit confusing but it seemed to me that the OP wants to put the Juicy 3 onto the new Reba and want's to know what adapter to use as the old adapter won't work.
    The 180mm PM to PM that I previously linked is the right adapter for putting the Juicy onto the Reba with a 180mm rotor..

* The specs of the bike say that it has a 185mm rotor, if this is the case then the 180mm adapter that I previously linked is the wrong size.
    A 185mm PM to PM adapter like this will be needed.

If the OP had a IS mount brake, this would be the type of adapter to use on the PM fork but I do not think this is the case.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    There is no, and never has been, ANY Avid disc brake caliper that was IS-only. Never.

amgine's brake has an IS bracket on it now. Some people do not know it can be removed for use as a post mount.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Need More Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There is no, and never has been, ANY Avid disc brake caliper that was IS-only. Never.

amgine's brake has an IS bracket on it now. Some people do not know it can be removed for use as a post mount.
    Wow, youre right. I didnt really look at it because the lbs told me it needed an adapter. The guy had me wait two weeks to order one, then he ordered "the wrong one" and i just took the bike home assuming id have to order it myself.

The juicy 3 mounts up to the posts, but it doesn't have the clearance to get the disc in there. What am i doing wrong?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    What am i doing wrong?
    Click on the blue writing in the following quote.

Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    A 185mm PM to PM adapter like this will be needed.

Need More Bikes
    cool. hopefully a LBS has that and I can get it locally.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Avid makes 180mm adapters and 185mm adapters, you need the right size adapter to suit the rotor that you have.

Your original post said that you have a 180mm front rotor but the specs for your bike list it as having a 185mm front rotor.

Need More Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Avid makes 180mm adapters and 185mm adapters, you need the right size adapter to suit the rotor that you have.

Your original post said that you have a 180mm front rotor but the specs for your bike list it as having a 185mm front rotor.
    You're right it is 185. I'll start looking around. Thanks again.