mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Please Help! Sintered Brake Pads?

Hi all i've recently just bought my first full suspnsion bike and it came with some shimano M485s but after a problem with these i've had these replaced with shimano Br-m535's. They originaly came with resin pads but would like to put some sintered pads on instead. I've looked up that the calipers can have sintered pads fitted. The problem is that the replacement brakes didn't come with a new disc rotor and on the rotor it says that you should only use resin pads. Do you think i would be able to use sintered pads or would these ruin the disc rotor? for all i know it could be the same for both sets of calipers.

Dan

mtbr member
    call shimano

On the instruction sheet for that brake (m485) there is no actual prohibition of other than resin pads, just a statement that the system works best with their (Shimano) resin pads B01S. I have no idea why they would say even that, although my fuzzy memory says that certain rotor materials like aluminum need to be used with resin pads for optimal results.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Some rotors are too soft for sintered pads. If you have the smaller 6" shimano rotors they may be too soft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

rotor size.

i got 180mm on the front and 160mm on the back. dunno if that helps

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    M485's use a different pad

to the M535's

so they have a different braking depth and thus require a different rotor.
    Personally, I wouldn't use the M485's rotors with the M535s and metal pads as I think the brakes may not work properly. I'd change over to new rotors, RT75's if using 6-hole or whatever model you want if using centrelock.