mtbr member

Please help newbie...AVID JUICY 3 Problems

Hi,
    I just got a 2009 Cannondale F4 from local shop, took it home and rode around neighborhood. The front rotor was warped (rubbed on calipers a little) and made some "metal-on-metal" shearing noise when turning or going faster...
    Took it back to shop next day...had the rotor "bent back" so it wouldn't hit the brakes...but shearing noise is still there on higher speeds and just turning...
    Anything I can do without destroying the brakes/rotors? Should I take it back to shop again? Is this noise normal? (sounds like a swordfight when i ride)
    I've read the reviews of how horrible the Juicy 3's are =(
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    this is not nessecarily a problem with just juicy 3's. (hope you feel better ) its just the rotor rubbing on the pad(s) because the rotor is warped . This also happens to me when im going fast (i dont have avids).

how could they bend it back?

maybe its the way the rotor is mounted onto your hub -- im not a good mechanic and i dont know how to fix it, so dont ask me how
    avoid Manitou forks at all costs... they have no souls...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response =)
    They actually just used a wrench, then just using their hands to bend it bak...
    Initially it was rubbing on the brakepad (before they fixed it)
    Now, it doesn't rub, but its not perfectly straight either
    Im afraid to mess with it, but the more I read about people bending it themselves, i think ill do it eventually...

The sound is just aweful though...its not a turkey gobble...sounds more like swords crossing when i turn or go fast...

mtbr member
    Look on the caliper to make it isn't scratching that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    bending it back is quite common, you can actually get a guage that is mounted on a truing stand for wheels. if its only rubbing when your into corners at high speeds then i would look elsewhere for the issue. such as hubs flexing or frame flexing. the tolerances are tight and it doesnt take much to get it off. also as metal heats and cools, like when your using your brakes, it expands and contracts. that can also cause rubbing. the juicy 3's come with the roundagon rotor if my memory serves me, try a nicer rotor like the clean sweep. ive had better luck with warping and heat with them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had a loud squealing noise with my Juicy 3s when going fast or around turns too. In my case it turned out to be the Juicy 3 casing (not pads) rubbing against the disc. Since the noise only happened under full load, I could not see the problem.

Well it turns out, the problem was my own fault. When I replaced the front pads, there was one very small metal shim (like a very thin washer) that went between the Juicy 3 and the frame that I neglected to put back. Without that miniscule shim, the rotors would hit the Juicy casing under load. I put the shim back and problem solved. There was only one shim, and only on one of the front brake mounts, but apparently Specialized knew what they were doing.

The usual brake adjustments had no effect on fixing this problem, since it was a mounting issue. Just something to look for...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sounds more like the dropouts should be faced. its not a specialized thing, its a lack of customer service thing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    sounds more like the dropouts should be faced. its not a specialized thing, its a lack of customer service thing.
    Actually, the shim/washer is used to move the brake away from the frame and toward the wheel. Additional machining/facing would worsen the rub. Alternatively, the coat of paint on the dropout may have been too thin - I mean the shim is wafer thin, about the thickness of a coat of paint.

mtbr member
    Thanks alot to all of you for the help. I'm new to mountain biking, and honestly I was just spoiled to have such an expensive bike when I hardly know anything.
    I will try my best to look into places where you've suggested. I hope its something I can do on my own without messing anything up...

It was odd that messing with the rotors did not help the metal-on-metal noise on turns and anything faster than 15mph. I will invest more time into learning about bike parts...will let you know how it goes!

Thanks Again!!!

mtbr member
    Sounds to me as if your calipers were not seated ompletly. Did you have the front whell off of the bike and accidentally pull the brakelever? This happened to me and I had to use a large falt screwdriver to spread the pads apart. I have a shim to put in my calipers if I transport the bike with out using my rack and have not had that problem again. I have since replaced the Juciy's I found under hard bracking, going down hills that they would vibrate horribly right up through my seat. These are not bad brakes - just entry level I out rode them very quickly. I stuck with Avids and now have Elixir CR's - fantastic.

mtbr member
    thanks for the help...im gonna see what i can do and report back next time i ride...

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! *update*....

Rode my bike on street/trails (metal noise was still there when I go past 10mph AND/OR turn my front wheel) before I finally had the chance to take it back to my LBS yesterday...

The guy put it on a stand, tested the brake (didnt take anything apart or off) and listened for noise while turning both wheels....no noise....
    1) How do they know nothing is wrong without looking at the brake pads/moving the caliper?

Well, I told them its probably there when under load...so he took the bike and rode it around the block...came back and said he didnt hear anything....
    So they continued to insist nothing wrong with brakes and it could just be the FLEX of the parts or vibration...
    ...I know I'm not crazy, and even my GF hears it when we ride together...
    So i think im gonna take it to another shop and get a 2nd opinion...
    I don't care about a little noise, but when my bike sounds like constant swordfighting, i think i should be worried...

BTW I got Avid G3 Cleansweep 185mm rotor and adaptor to change my 160's in the front...maybe that will help
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Dirt Deviant
    Sometimes brakes will make that noise.
    It is not uncommon. It is usually some kind of flex causing the sound. Usually when turning or there is some kind of torsional load.

Make sure your quick releases are nice and tight, and that the wheels are centered in the dropouts.
    No matter how centered my hayes strokers are I get a little flex and they make the noise while turning or hitting a really large bump.
    203mmfront and 185 rear.
    It seems that the larger the rotor, the more prone it is to making noise.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if it just happens once in a while, and isn't a constant rubbing noise.

mtbr member
    thx for the input. I'll check those things =)

Rip Van Winkle
    My C'dale F5 did the same thing with BB7 or 5's I don't know. It's called disc brakes it happens for a while. I put mine into the lowest gear and hold down 99% and power roll until the brakes sing, this gets them nice and broken in. No problems since.

mtbr member

Smile **update**

Just changed my front rotor to 180mm...(im 250lbs and think it would be better for my fat ass anyway)

1) followed instructions in manual and park tool book to reinstall/realign brakes...couldnt get the constant rubbing out of rotors so I used a crescent wrench and tinked for an hr...finally got it to align with no rub...

2) Took it out for test run to break in pads and bed them in...and the DREADED SWORDFIGHTING SOUND is 99% gone

...Turns out it made the same sound when I was truing the rotor and spinning the wheel WHILE turning the handle...so it didnt just happen under load...I guess its the flex and rotor grazing the pad...

Anyway, think I'm good for now...THANKS EVERYONE for the input!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Strive215
    Thanks for the response =)
    They actually just used a wrench, then just using their hands to bend it bak...
    Initially it was rubbing on the brakepad (before they fixed it)
    Now, it doesn't rub, but its not perfectly straight either
    Im afraid to mess with it, but the more I read about people bending it themselves, i think ill do it eventually...

The sound is just aweful though...its not a turkey gobble...sounds more like swords crossing when i turn or go fast...
    Had this on brand new BB5s on my brand new Haro Mary SS....was mainly when turning or cranking hard on the pedals while pulling on the bars (single speed). The front caliper to fork bolts were too long and stuck out the back side of the adapter, under side loading (ie. turning) the slight flex of everything was just enough to barely let the legs of the front brake rotor rub on the ends of the two caliper adapter to fork mounting bolts. A couple of small flat washers under the heads of these two bolts fixed the problem! There is not much extra room in this area and these two bolts should not protrude through the backside at all.

Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Sometimes brakes will make that noise.
    It is not uncommon. It is usually some kind of flex causing the sound. Usually when turning or there is some kind of torsional load.

Make sure your quick releases are nice and tight, and that the wheels are centered in the dropouts.
    No matter how centered my hayes strokers are I get a little flex and they make the noise while turning or hitting a really large bump.
    203mmfront and 185 rear.
    It seems that the larger the rotor, the more prone it is to making noise.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if it just happens once in a while, and isn't a constant rubbing noise.
    Good info too!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...