mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Please help with my hayes 6" mags

Okay I have tried pretty much everything and they still don't work right. I have to squeeze very hard to stoppie (comparing them to my 6" avid, I'd say they have 1/3 of the power). Here is what I have tried:
    I put in new hayes metallic pads (the more expensive supposedly better ones). While I was putting the new pads in I made sure the pads never touched anything and I cleaned the rotors with isopropel alchohol.

That didn't work so I tryed an Avid rotor

neither did that so I sanded the rotor and pads

that didn't work either

the only thing I havent done is bleed the system, but when the pads hit, they hit. The lever isn't spongy at all, so I wouldn't think that was the problem. Ohh, and I did allow for full bedding in (although the brake in either never came or just isn't nearly as drastic as avids)

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Had almost the same problem..Try re bleeding them, you may possibly have a problem with the master cylinder that prevents it from full force..Also, this is quite obvious, but is the throw in your lever short enough? ie. does the lever hit the handlebar or come close? Sorry that's all I have I'd have to see your bike..that sure seems abnormal considering i can stoppie with mine barely no effort at all

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a similar problem with my rear Hayes... the lever goes all the way to the grip before contacting the rotor. It also has some kind of grabbing/vibration going on once it does hit the rotor... I can feel it in my nuts if I brake while seated. I'm going to try: 1. recentering the caliper, 2. rebleeding the rear brake and 3. replacing the hoses because I did a hack job trying to shorten them (this will be a last ditch thing).

I also have a front brake that drags and engages maybe 1mm into the lever pull... pretty sure that one needs to be recentered as well.

Let's have a beer or 10.
    How old is your setup? Did you consider that some burn-in is required between the disk and pads??
    I felt that my Hayes had this exact feeling the first few weeks I had them. I actually felt very disapointed about the power (I knew about the burn-in, I just though it wouldn't be so important). And then bing! (well almost instant bing...) Great power and incredible modulation (compared to my Vs). So that might be it... It took me several hours to obtain an adequate braking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfelner
    Had almost the same problem..Try re bleeding them, you may possibly have a problem with the master cylinder that prevents it from full force..Also, this is quite obvious, but is the throw in your lever short enough? ie. does the lever hit the handlebar or come close? Sorry that's all I have I'd have to see your bike..that sure seems abnormal considering i can stoppie with mine barely no effort at all
    I have about 1/2" lever pull till engagement, I can not pull it even close to the handlebar

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GrosGarage
    How old is your setup? Did you consider that some burn-in is required between the disk and pads??
    I felt that my Hayes had this exact feeling the first few weeks I had them. I actually felt very disapointed about the power (I knew about the burn-in, I just though it wouldn't be so important). And then bing! (well almost instant bing...) Great power and incredible modulation (compared to my Vs). So that might be it... It took me several hours to obtain an adequate braking.
    I have been riding far past there supposed brake in period. I know avids take longer and I have probably put 3 avids worht of break ins on these pads.