mtbr member
    Mar 2004

PLEASE Advice: Disc brakes for the shimano m475 hubs???

hi, I'm thinking of getting disc brakes for my kona blast 2004, which has the shimano 475 hub's, is my only option to get the shimano 475 mech disc brakes, or can i also use other models, such as the shimano BR-m515LA, or some other brand?? is the 475 better than just v-brakes? am i just better of keeping the stock brakes?

thanks for any help

Fly Air Kona

475's/disc brakes

Hey 'Gatus...
    So long as your hubs have the international 6-bolt disc rotor mounting flange, and your frame/fork have disc tabs, you can use any disc set up... hyd. or mech. I would personally go with the Avid mech.'s, if you want to use mechanicals. They have stopping power that rivals any hydraulic system and they pretty simple to set up and maintain... and they're fairly inexpensive. I use them on several of my bikes. I've heard that Hayes mech.'s are good also. Hope this helps.

Avidcycler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by variegatus
    hi, I'm thinking of getting disc brakes for my kona blast 2004, which has the shimano 475 hub's, is my only option to get the shimano 475 mech disc brakes, or can i also use other models, such as the shimano BR-m515LA, or some other brand?? is the 475 better than just v-brakes? am i just better of keeping the stock brakes?
    Any current brake rotor will fit on the 475 hub. Use any model or make you want.