mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Play in Magura Marta lever

Just got a used set of Magura Marta SLs, mounted them up, and found that the rear lever has about a half inch of play before engaging. The front lever does not have this. Is this a problem, or is this normal? The play isn't super loose, but doesn't seem like it should be there.

The seller is being cool about taking them back, but I don't want to hassle him if the play is expected.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's not really normal for a lot of play. Two things are possible. It needs to be bled or the pivot bushings are really worn.

A pivot bushing set come with enough for both sides including the bolts. I think I paid $15 + shipping from bikeparts.com. Your LBS should be able to order them too.

edit: one other thing, check the reach adj bolt and make sure its all the way in it's little hole on the bushing. You will see the difference compared to your other brake. If this reach adj bolt is out too far, put a little BLUE locktite on it and put it back in. If you loose this on a ride, your brake will become useless. And it will wait until you are the top of a killer DH to go out. So, you're just cruising down because you only have one brake. I know, I was there.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    It's not really normal for a lot of play. Two things are possible. It needs to be bled or the pivot bushings are really worn.

A pivot bushing set come with enough for both sides including the bolts. I think I paid $15 + shipping from bikeparts.com. Your LBS should be able to order them too.

edit: one other thing, check the reach adj bolt and make sure its all the way in it's little hole on the bushing. You will see the difference compared to your other brake. If this reach adj bolt is out too far, put a little BLUE locktite on it and put it back in. If you loose this on a ride, your brake will become useless. And it will wait until you are the top of a killer DH to go out. So, you're just cruising down because you only have one brake. I know, I was there.
    Awesome, thanks for the info! So it sounds like the brakes are probably fine, and worst case I'll need to replace some cheap parts. I'll keep 'em