mtbr member

Planning Ahead (what rotor size)

So I am building a hardtail Trans Am for this year and this is the first bike I am building from scratch. And I decided to go with 2010-11Avid Code Brake system, but need help deciding on a rotor size. I am 135-140lbs. I see that some people have a smaller rotor in the rear and wanted to know why that is. Also biggest thing I worry about is that next year I plan on picking up a BottleRocket and doing a lot more downhill so I need to be able to use this brake system on that safely. Any ideas?

Thank you

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Larger rotor up front for more braking power on steep, long downhill runs. Most of your slowing is done with the front brake so it must be the most powerful on descents.

Also, a smaller rotor out back reduces weight for those who are concerned about that.

At your weight, you'll be fine with 160 rotors front and rear. When you move the brake system over to the downhill ride, you may need to upgrade the front to a 180mm or 185mm rotor for more power but try it as is first...

Ride or die
    Yeah, the Codes are pretty grabby, so you shouldn't need more than 160.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Larger rotor up front for more braking power on steep, long downhill runs. Most of your slowing is done with the front brake so it must be the most powerful on descents.

Also, a smaller rotor out back reduces weight for those who are concerned about that.

At your weight, you'll be fine with 160 rotors front and rear. When you move the brake system over to the downhill ride, you may need to upgrade the front to a 180mm or 185mm rotor for more power but try it as is first...
    when upgradeing to a bigger rotor, is it just a matter of just changing the rotor to a bigger one or are there anything else on the brake caliper that has to be changed?

Thank you

Ride or die
    Quote Originally Posted by PHRESHKHID
    when upgradeing to a bigger rotor, is it just a matter of just changing the rotor to a bigger one or are there anything else on the brake caliper that has to be changed?

Thank you
    You will need to change the mount adapter, the little piece of aluminum that connects the caliper to the frame or fork, to accomodate the larger rotor. They cost a couple bucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had a set of pretty beat up code on my TrasnAM for a while. I weigh 180+ with gear. Was running 7" front and 6" back and it was sufficient.

I didn't like the modulation and lever feel to them though so I've switched to Hope M4. The code might have been better if they were brand new but those ones I had were old and beat up.

Members who have read this thread: 0