mtbr member
    May 2004

Pistons retract on juicy 5?

I am trying to push the rear pistons in on my rear juicy 5's. I can't push them in so I think I need to open the reservior cap to let some fluid out. Is this the right way to go about this? I am used to XT's.

thanks for any advice

mtbr member
    With the J5's the pistons don't retract very far unlike shimano and Magura.
    There is a central pin on each piston which dosn't help so i'ts best to do it with the pads fitted. I use a butter knife between the pads but they are hard to push apart and won't retract a lot. Even with empty hoses ie no fluid at all they still barley retract.

Meh.
    This pistons should be able to push back far enough into their bores that they sit flush with the caliper... it is the same with Shimano and Magura... I don't know what yetibetty is talking about... but that is not true.

If the piston will not push back all the way, the system may be overfilled. Do not remove the resi cap. Level the lever to be parallel with the ground. Remove the lever bleed screw. Reset the pistons. This will forces out the excess fluid. Close the bleed port. Wipe and clean the lever.

mtbr member
    What I meant was (and could have put better) is that when the pistons on the J5's are pushed all the way in and flush to the caliper, the pads will still be quite close to the rotor. unlike some other brakes, which when the pistons are pushed right back pruduce a larger gap between rotor and pads.