mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Piston doesn't retract on Avid Juicy

I'm having a problem eliminating brake rub because one of the pistons does not retract on my Avid Juicy 7 brakes.

I've tried pushing the piston in and extending and pushing it in a few times. It takes a lot of force to push it in.

This is on the front caliper, from initial setup I had difficulty eliminating the rub, but it's gotten progressively worse.

I've attempted to contact avid tech support, the didn't respond to my email, and the phone support is closed for the weekend now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do in the meantime to correct this and get the piston to retract?

-Spyky

mtbr member

Good job! Got you covered

Quote Originally Posted by Spyky
    I'm having a problem eliminating brake rub because one of the pistons does not retract on my Avid Juicy 7 brakes.

I've tried pushing the piston in and extending and pushing it in a few times. It takes a lot of force to push it in.

This is on the front caliper, from initial setup I had difficulty eliminating the rub, but it's gotten progressively worse.

I've attempted to contact avid tech support, the didn't respond to my email, and the phone support is closed for the weekend now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do in the meantime to correct this and get the piston to retract?

-Spyky
    Spyky,
    I had exactly this, and Avid took two days to get back to me. Here's what they suggested and what worked:

I pulled the wheel out of the bike, and then held the "good" piston back from movign with the tip of a screwdriver as I gently applied the brake lever. Since I held the one, the other moves more, and moves further than it would otherwise.

The idea is to get the sticky piston lubricated with the brake fluid, so I pushed the sticky on back in, then did the same trick about 5 times, bringing the piston out pretty far. After about 5 times, the piston was fully retracting, so I jammed the red "travel shim" in and tried the brakes without holding one side back....looked good and problem solved.

Try that and I bet you're done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Spyky,
    I had exactly this, and Avid took two days to get back to me. Here's what they suggested and what worked:

I pulled the wheel out of the bike, and then held the "good" piston back from movign with the tip of a screwdriver as I gently applied the brake lever. Since I held the one, the other moves more, and moves further than it would otherwise.

The idea is to get the sticky piston lubricated with the brake fluid, so I pushed the sticky on back in, then did the same trick about 5 times, bringing the piston out pretty far. After about 5 times, the piston was fully retracting, so I jammed the red "travel shim" in and tried the brakes without holding one side back....looked good and problem solved.

Try that and I bet you're done.
    Thanks, that helped a little, although it is still not great but I think it will do. Now I've run into another problem.

I need to move the caliper slightly farther out (away from the wheel) in order to prevent the outer pad from rubbing slightly. But I can't move it any farther out, because the holes on the caliper body aren't quite wide enough to let me shift it any farther.

I have a post-mount Manitou shock, it seems to me the only way to get slightly more clearance, will be to slightly widen the bolt hole in the caliper with a file. So I'm going to go pick up a small round file tomorrow and try this out.

-Spyky