mtbr member
    Oct 2008

pinched shimano lines

this is my first bike with hydro disks(rocky mountain rmx) and the way the rear is routed the line pinches were it bolts into brake(shimano 203mm) is there an elbow that i can use to fix the prob or if any one knows of a better way to fix this http://www.singletracks.com/mtbrevie...X-1.0/325.html here is the link to my bike and as u can see the rear disk set up is very steep up to the caliper and it pinches were the line meets the bolt threaded into the caliper

thanks Aaron

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would suggest getting a longer hose fitted, so there is a bit more play. Maybe fit a goodridge hose as they are braided and bend less easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok will do the line on there now is like a fiber weave inside

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJG
    ok will do the line on there now is like a fiber weave inside
    I just went through this.... was able to buy the shimano "banjo" 90-degree fittings at my local bike shop. They were not cheap- something like $16 each (but I needed two, you only need one). A complete fitting would include the banjo fitting itself, compression sleeve, Olive and two O-rings. To replace the fitting you'll need to bleed the brakes.

Alternately, you could just replace the entire hose with a new one, you'd want the SM-BH63, they can be had for about $15 on eBay. Make sure to get one thats long enough.
    Last edited by FM; 11-10-2008 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks fm, and ya i am getting a new hose but i didn't want to have the same thing happen 2 months down the road could u possibly post me a pic of the 90 attached to your caliper. Now when i took my lines off there were no o rings(is this bad?)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    thanks fm, and ya i am getting a new hose but i didn't want to have the same thing happen 2 months down the road could u possibly post me a pic of the 90 attached to your caliper. Now when i took my lines off there were no o rings(is this bad?)
    Sure I can post a pic tonight.
    If it's a shimano hose, yes there should be o-rings on both sides of the 90'degree banjo.
    The in-line fittings don't require the o-rings since they thread right into the lever/caliper.

I've also had great luck with Hope hoses on shimano brakes. ebay seller monkamoo sells a universal kit that works with shimano brakes and includes every possible fitting you might need. These do not use o-rings, they use stainless fittings and brass washers instead. The hope hoses are very similar to the goodridge, in fact I think the hosing is identical, but the fittings are different (Hope uses barbs & olives, goodridge does not)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok cool i get all the goodies i can from the lbs(i know him well and always get good deals)(paid 1800 for the bike ridden 2x hella good deal)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Good on ya for supporting the LBS. Thats where I got these parts!

1. Parts; everything except the brass olive is pictured- it will go between the banjo and threaded sleeve.
    2. Assembled w/o hose
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ya my line came with the banjo gear but my caliper is metric and the banjo is standard(lol what luck) thanks 4 the hlp and pic

FM
    luxatio erecta
    ya my line came with the banjo gear but my caliper is metric and the banjo is standard(lol what luck) thanks 4 the hlp and pic
    Seriously? I didn't think shimano had ever changed the threads on the calipers. I know they did change the levers.

A bunch of companies make those hollow, ported bolts that go through the banjo. You might try alligator, goodridge or hope. I have mixed & matched between all 4.