mtbr member

Paul Neo Retro and Touring Canti's?

Thinking about throwing the Neo Retro's on the front and the Touring Canti's on the back of my cyclocross bike. Wondering if this would be a significant upgrade over my Avid Shorty 4's that are on there now? Or just bling?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Thinking about throwing the Neo Retro's on the front and the Touring Canti's on the back of my cyclocross bike. Wondering if this would be a significant upgrade over my Avid Shorty 4's that are on there now? Or just bling?
    mostly bling but mine work awesome, I have neo-retro front and rear and haven't hit my ankles yet.

I would throw the hanger that comes with them in the trash, its a shame that such an expensive and beautiful brake comes with such a crappy cable hanger. I recommend a Salsa cable hanger, they are 50mm wide and will increase power, also the lower the hanger the more power you get
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    The Paul's are better than your Avids. You might want to check out the Tektro 720 with salmon Kool Stop brake pads. Maybe buy a Tektro just for the front and see if that gives you better braking. You might want to even just try the Kool Stop pads with your current brakes and see if that's enough.

mtbr member
    2nd the Tektro 720.

Pauls are among the best but the Tektro 720 with KoolStops will get you pretty close in performance albeit at a higher weight, lower level of finish and w/o being made in the US (if you care).

Shorty's are junk -- lousy performance, lousy materials.

mtbr member
    Great brakes. The hangers are functional, but ugly. IMO, Avid Tri-Dangles look good with these brakes.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Lousy picture, but I like the Spooky straddle carriers

Cyclocrossworld.com has them and a few others that would be nice upgrades over what Pauls are shipped with.

mtbr member
    Thanks,

I'll most likely go with the Pauls. Main reason for asking was..If the performance was significantly better over the Avids, I'd do it sooner than latter. Sounds like it'll be worth it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.