No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Paul Components Brake Unit?

Anyone using? Used one? I thought that Shiggy had one on his Matt Chester. I'm Looking to go to discs on my EWR Woods Bike. Any advice? Waste of time? Guess that you have to use a Paul's Hub as well, huh?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yup. I use a Disk Unit. You do need to use the Paul WORD Disc hub, too.
    It works very well. I have had no issues with it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the response and I .....

Hey, Shiggy! I'm sorry about the "No Post" on the request for some photos of my EWR. Hoping that the e-mail that I sent you via your tire site was good enough. (with the link to the thread about EWRs that included my photo.) Just thinking, at times that I'd love to get a SS. But, owning a piece of history (that I REALLY enjoy riding) that I don't want to give up that "uniqueness" and the local vibe that my frame brings to me. (live in PA not far from where EWR surfaced) Just would love to simplify the ride. (who cares if I walk some? I'm not in the shape that I used to be but I do have a new daughter at home which, is awesome, but it makes my ride time all the more valuable. so, why do I want to mess with an X.7 rear der. that I bashed on my last ride and forgot to fix so it's going to mess up this ride kind of thing? You know?) But, was looking to update a bit with some Avid Mech. Disks,and didn't want to build up a whole new rig. (hence my question if they'd work with Paul's levers a few days ago.) And, uh, I'd love to get my hands on some of those oldscool Panaracer Dart SC 2.2s! Well, heh, sorry to be so long winded but I really do appreciate the input.
    Now...what chain tensioner do you recomend? I was thinking Rennen Designs Rollenager? Any opinion? (Always full o questions...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Hey, Shiggy! I'm sorry about the "No Post" on the request for some photos of my EWR. Hoping that the e-mail that I sent you via your tire site was good enough. (with the link to the thread about EWRs that included my photo.) Just thinking, at times that I'd love to get a SS. But, owning a piece of history (that I REALLY enjoy riding) that I don't want to give up that "uniqueness" and the local vibe that my frame brings to me. (live in PA not far from where EWR surfaced) Just would love to simplify the ride. (who cares if I walk some? I'm not in the shape that I used to be but I do have a new daughter at home which, is awesome, but it makes my ride time all the more valuable. so, why do I want to mess with an X.7 rear der. that I bashed on my last ride and forgot to fix so it's going to mess up this ride kind of thing? You know?) But, was looking to update a bit with some Avid Mech. Disks,and didn't want to build up a whole new rig. (hence my question if they'd work with Paul's levers a few days ago.) And, uh, I'd love to get my hands on some of those oldscool Panaracer Dart SC 2.2s! Well, heh, sorry to be so long winded but I really do appreciate the input.
    Now...what chain tensioner do you recomend? I was thinking Rennen Designs Rollenager? Any opinion? (Always full o questions...)
    I got your email with the EWR pic. Nice bike!
    I have not used any chain tensioners. No recs.
    mtbtires.com

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Photos of your Paul's Brake Unit?

Have any non-drive side, dropout area photos of yours? Side...rear...views? Any problems with brake "chatter"? Just want to be darn sure before dropping the dough on the Unit, Melvin (or Rennan Rollenager) and a whole new wheelset (to include the WORD rear hub) As, most likely, I'd get the front wheel built up as well to have a matching wheelset. Oh, and uh, then there's the Avid Mech. Brakes.... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Have any non-drive side, dropout area photos of yours? Side...rear...views? Any problems with brake "chatter"? Just want to be darn sure before dropping the dough on the Unit, Melvin (or Rennan Rollenager) and a whole new wheelset (to include the WORD rear hub) As, most likely, I'd get the front wheel built up as well to have a matching wheelset. Oh, and uh, then there's the Avid Mech. Brakes.... Thanks!
    No chatter problems at all. My bike uses a low mounted tab for a short torque arm. The Unit also comes with a long arm to attach to the canti boss. You can remove the wheel to change the tire or fix a flat without unbolting anything. You need to unbolt the arm and release the brake cable (I slotted the Avid caliper cable stop) to completely remove the wheel.
    I do not use the QR pin any more. Not secure enough.

mtbtires.com

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the photos...

MUCH help! MUCH help. Think Matt'd ever do another 26" rig? I know, I know. I said that I love my EWR and don't want a new bike....and I don't! But, man....
    Thanks again.