mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Painting XT cylinder

Has anyone tried painting the "chrome" master cylinder all black? I have some road rash on mine and I never did really like the chrome. I guess a coat of primer and then some satin black would work. Tape off all rubber etc...What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds reasonable. Although if it were me, I might consider using either spray on Plasti Dip or some spray on bed liner. Also, scuff the surface with some light steel wool first.

Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

-RW

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great idea...thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
    Sounds reasonable. Although if it were me, I might consider using either spray on Plasti Dip or some spray on bed liner. Also, scuff the surface with some light steel wool first.

Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

-RW
    Quote Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    Great idea...thanks!
    Definitely NOT necessary if going the Plasti-dip route. Just clean it with some rubbing alcohol and you're good to spray.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, ok...eurospek is right. If you go the Plasti Dip or spray bed liner approach, scuffing the surface is not necessary, but also won't hurt. If you go the primer/paint route, then you do need to scuff the surface. I was trying to be quick with my original post, my apologies.

-RW

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    Has anyone tried painting the "chrome" master cylinder all black? I have some road rash on mine and I never did really like the chrome. I guess a coat of primer and then some satin black would work. Tape off all rubber etc...What do you think?
    Please post a picture when done. I would like to try this too.