mtbr member

Upset Pain in the Hoop - fitting Avid Mechs to Kona forks

It all seemed to be coming together. As I left for work this morning a neighbour shouted across to say that my new wheels (Mavic Crosslands) had been dropped off with them.

I then got off early from work and on my return met the postman with my Avid Mechanicals (185 front 160 rear). I set about an afternoon of fettling and installing the new wheels and brakes on my commutting bike.

It was all going really well until I started to fit the front on my Kona Project 2 Jump forks. When I began to adjust the dials on the caliper I noticed that the CPS mount and the caliper were rubbing on the disc. Unfortunately the caliper was at the far reach of its sideway adjustment so it had nowhere to go.

I tried playing around with it but I soon realised that the only way it would work would require some serious filing of the disk mount on the forks to push the caliper away from the disk.

At this point I remembered that my LBS had had some problems installing my old Formula Mechs on these forks and had to file the caliper to get it to fit. Unfortunately that is not an option with the Avids as it would require losing about 2-3 mm off the caliper or the disc mount just to stop the rubbing. This would also mean the alot of the movement of the disc caliper would be lost.

So much for international standard. Thanks Kona for producing a fork that struggles to take most discs. I have now ordered a PACE RC32 Expert Trials Fork.

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just I must have got a Friday afternoon fork?

Regards

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by spangelsaregreat
    It all seemed to be coming together. As I left for work this morning a neighbour shouted across to say that my new wheels (Mavic Crosslands) had been dropped off with them.

I then got off early from work and on my return met the postman with my Avid Mechanicals (185 front 160 rear). I set about an afternoon of fettling and installing the new wheels and brakes on my commutting bike.

It was all going really well until I started to fit the front on my Kona Project 2 Jump forks. When I began to adjust the dials on the caliper I noticed that the CPS mount and the caliper were rubbing on the disc. Unfortunately the caliper was at the far reach of its sideway adjustment so it had nowhere to go.

I tried playing around with it but I soon realised that the only way it would work would require some serious filing of the disk mount on the forks to push the caliper away from the disk.

At this point I remembered that my LBS had had some problems installing my old Formula Mechs on these forks and had to file the caliper to get it to fit. Unfortunately that is not an option with the Avids as it would require losing about 2-3 mm off the caliper or the disc mount just to stop the rubbing. This would also mean the alot of the movement of the disc caliper would be lost.

So much for international standard. Thanks Kona for producing a fork that struggles to take most discs. I have now ordered a PACE RC32 Expert Trials Fork.

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just I must have got a Friday afternoon fork?

Regards

Not sure how common it is but magura makes a tool that files the IS mount for you in an even fashion so you know it can't be that uncommon. Have you tried filing your fork instead of the calipers..? had your shop filed the mount instead of your calipers you might not be having this problem now.

mtbr member
    ... it would require losing about 2-3 mm off the caliper or the disc mount just to stop the rubbing....
    How old is the fork? The rotor position for the front disc standard changed by 2.6mm in 2000 (the rotor position was moved outboard), but I don't recall Kona making disc forks back then. Maybe you can get Kona to warrenttee the fork?

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member
    I did briefly consider this but we are talking taking 2-3mm off a steel fork which would take ages with my old hand file.

Basically I am not really that keen to mess about with a fork in this way when it should really fit straight on.

I have already bought a pair of PACE RC32 forks as a replacement.

mtbr member
    I bought it in 2002 and I am sure it was that years model.

As I have stated above I have already sent off for a new set of forks but I might drop an email to Kona to see what they say about a warranty claim.

Regards

mtbr member
    I bought it in 2002 and I am sure it was that years model.

As I have stated above I have already sent off for a new set of forks but I might drop an email to Kona to see what they say about a warranty claim.

Regards
    If that is the case, then I'd think you should be able to get a new fork from Kona, If it is really 2~3mm off, it sounds like someone at the taiwan factory welded it on a jig with the old standard.

mtbr member
    I have emailed Kona UK with the problem so we will wait and see what they say.

It is a bit annoying having to buy a new fork but I really need my bike to commute to work. The one silver lining is that the PACE forks look reallly nice!! I guess if Kona give me a replacement set of forks I can always sell them on eBay.

Regards