mtbr member

Paging Hope Mono Mini Owners!!

The Mono Mini's are now listed in the "Reviews" section (Thanks Gregg). If you own a set, please post a review on your brakes!

Zizzle

banned
    Jan 2004

Good job! Yes please do, I am anxious myself to hear the drizzle on the sizzle...

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzle to the Tizzle
    The Mono Mini's are now listed in the "Reviews" section (Thanks Gregg). If you own a set, please post a review on your brakes!

Zizzle
    ...or has my skill at slang just fizzled?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I just got a pair, I've ridden three times

with them, the first two they didn't impress, compared to my xtr v's. But this last time at night in the mud, they started to bight. Great control, very good modulation, but they do squeel, as of right now. But not that bad. I'm hoping they will stop though.

banned
    Jan 2004

New question here. So did that mud pack give them a decent "beauty" treatment,...

Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    with them, the first two they didn't impress, compared to my xtr v's. But this last time at night in the mud, they started to bight. Great control, very good modulation, but they do squeel, as of right now. But not that bad. I'm hoping they will stop though.
    ...more powerful in all conditions now? My initial impressions from what I'd heard, was that their new pad compound is maybe a bit finicky about breakin, kinda like those puppies that like to go roll in the dirt after you give 'em a bath. Heck, that might mean they wear longer in wet conditions too, I'm a bit concerned about that with the Martas I just ordered based on what I've heard.

Curious, does the skweal linger well after they get wet, or just about the same as most pads do with a dousing?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    Before making any decisions one way or the other, you have to make sure the pads and rotors have been broken-in. Depending on your conditions and riding-style, this could take several rides. But, a muddy slurry is an excellent way to do a quick break-in. I suspect you'll notice more and more bite as the pads/rotors begin to break-in with each other.

I've yet to mount my new Monos since the conditions are still way too soft with thick, wet, sticky snow to even consider riding anytime soon. A couple more weeks, at least Until then, it's the road bike.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member

Comeon....can you hurry up and use those damn brakes!

I've been waiting around for your report!
    Mine are still collecting dust on the shelf. Trails have been a mess around here as well. This Saturday we are starting to do some trail maint for our race course scheduled in May and am planning on "trying" to get an early morning ride in before the work party. 1st trail ride in a long time. I have my Formulas on the Trek right now and will probably just mount the Hopes on the Titus when it arrives some time in the distant future, so it will still be some time before I get to try them out.
    Road riding has been pretty fun this year though and may try a race or two just to get my feet wet. I am eyeing a road TT next weekend.....just for the fun of it. We will see.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Before making any decisions one way or the other, you have to make sure the pads and rotors have been broken-in. Depending on your conditions and riding-style, this could take several rides. But, a muddy slurry is an excellent way to do a quick break-in. I suspect you'll notice more and more bite as the pads/rotors begin to break-in with each other.

I've yet to mount my new Monos since the conditions are still way too soft with thick, wet, sticky snow to even consider riding anytime soon. A couple more weeks, at least Until then, it's the road bike.

banned
    Jan 2004

Good job! Sounds like a good trick, esp if you had an adjustable...

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I sometimes use a Dremel with the metal wire wheel to remove just the "skin" on the surface of the pads. I like to roughen them up, then clean them with alcohol. As soon as I get on, I try to go up a hill from which I could ride down and do a series of panic stops. You need that heat to clean the binders off the pads, as well as wearing the opposing faces of the pads and rotors into each other (I know, only the pads really face themselves doing this and not the rotors)

I have been known to do crazier things with my pads to prep them.
    I don't have trouble with squeal doing the above.
    ...speed Dremel and put it on low. I think by comparison the sandpaper is merely scratching them. It's alot like the hard leather tips on pool cues, sandpaper is the poor man's way of giving them a texture to hold the chalk. The pros use tip tappers that look like little metal files, but they're actually covered with tiny pyramid spikes, to separate the caribou hyde and give it a deep nap.