mtbr member

Which pads for Avid Mech's

It's time to replace my pads on them for the first time and i was wondering which pads everyone has had good luck with. ( and also a good place to buy them) I mainly ride dry xc ( East Coast) with a few rainy days a month! I have also considered upgrading to the new jucy's or the marta sl's!

All opinions welcome
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Anytime. Anywhere.

Koolstops

Scroll yourself on down. They are cheap and work well.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Scroll yourself on down. They are cheap and work well.

Not a big fan of kool stops. had brake pad fall apart after about 2 rides, completely fell apart. stick w/orig's they work well and last forever.

_
    Mar 2004
    Check out EBC's, the red compound worked great for me and my friend whom recommended them to me.

Crank monkey

Koolstops are OK...

I've been using a set of Avid C4s up front and Koolstops in the back for the last few months, and I haven't had any problems with either. However, the rear brake has recently started to squeal, even in dry conditions, and especially once they've warm up a bit.

I recently cleaned/sanded them to remove a bit of glaze, but there it hasn't made any real difference. This leads me to believe that they may not like the warmer temps, which is a bit weird, since it hasn't been super hot here, and they generally squeal a lot only when it's cold and wet.

Other than the odd annoying squeak, they work pretty well. And you can't beat the price!
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member

01 mechs

i just realized that i may have the older mechs. they used the magnetic retainer instead of the spring loaded one, also the rotor is 165mm instead of 160. can i still use standard avid pads or do i need to look elsewhere. ???
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

"El Whatever"
    I think you can use the same pads. The new ones are a bit shorter to acomodate the spring but other than that, thickness, height and (most important) the backing plate is the same shape as the fixing clip inside the caliper is equal. Besides, Avid evolved the pad compounds 'cause the olders were just not lasting....
    Check my Site