mtbr member
    Hydraulic brakes self adjust.... Mostly.

mtbr member

are the pads adjustable

Shimano XT M775 Pre-Bled Disc Brake at Price Point

so looking at the picture do the brake pads in these actually adjust. its been a while since I've had the luxury (money) to buy anything new. i feel like I'm behind on the new designs. also are these clippers as thick as the old ones or not. from the picture it looks like a unibody brake caliper
    women and bikes are my heaven

mtbr member
    well whats with the little hex screew looking thing in the pads does that just hold them in place vs. having clips
    women and bikes are my heaven

mtbr member
    Yeah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    There is no "pad adjustment" on hydraulic disc brakes. They self adjust for wear but that's about it. As thickfog noted, the bolt that you see is simply a pad retention system. Many modern disc brakes have what is called a "pad contact" adjustment system. However this does not physically move the pads closer or further away from the rotor. That system simply changes at what point in the lever stroke the piston in the master cylinder starts to push fluid. So you're pretty much stuck with what ever the manufacturer specs for pad/rotor clearance when the caliper pistons are at rest.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

President of the Internet
    avjd elixir 9s and up have pad contact adjustment.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ashima PCB's and Tune KillHill / Brake Force One brakes are the only "modern" hydraulic brakes on the market that feature pad clearance adjustment. This is made possible by the closed hydraulic system as opposed to the much, much more common open system. Do note, however, that with the closed system, any heat expansion of the brake fluid results in the pads running closer to the disc. The rider has to manually compensate for this.