mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pad retraction & dominant pistons ?

I have been on numerous sets of Hayes Mag brakes for years. The calipers (G1 or G2) all have a dominant piston - one pad against the rotor w/ little or no retraction and the other retracts. When it comes to wear the pistons don't seem to advance (self adjust much). I was playing w/ my freinds Avid's and noticed the pads were equally spaced from the rotor & both retracted equally as well. Do most newer hyd. brakes have non dominant pistions w/ good retraction ? Thanks.

...idios...
    On a two piston brake, there should not be a dominant piston. If both seals are working properly and the system is bled, both pistons should extend and retract by equal distances and result in both pads touching the rotor at exactly the same time. Uneven piston/pad movement can remain undetected unless it starts generating noise. Both pads hitting the rotor at the same time will produce a notably superior lever feel, but uneven movement can often be overlooked as the lever may still feel acceptable.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got a set of Stroker Trails. Initially, I did have a lazy piston, however you can follow the steps here to ensure both piston are engaging equally....

Tips: How to align Hayes Stroker Trails (w/o rub or noise)