cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Pad Replacement Question/Likely Dumb Question

So I have a question and my apologies in advance. I am thinking of replacing my organic pads with metallic or sintered pads. I hear that all I need to do is replace the pads and away I go...My question is this: if I replace my pads but the new ones are obviously going to be thicker, how do I compensate for the extra material on the new pads? Won't my clearances be tighter against the rotor with fresh pads?

Again, I'm sorry for the nature of the question.

Can Tree Member
    No worries, gotta start somewhere right? Assuming that you are talking about hydraulic brakes, they have been adjusting themselves all along as the first set of pads were wearing thin. Basically, the pistons at rest are pushed out further than they were when the pads were new. To replace pads (with whatever compound you choose) you just press the pistons all the way back into the calipers, install the new pads, and off you go.

Before resetting the pistons, it would be a good idea to clean things up a bit...with mineral oil systems (like Shimano) a little work with Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol helps clean things up and keeps the pistons working smoothly. I've not used DOT fluid systems but others here can give you some tips on keeping them clean.

An easy way to reset the pistons...after getting everything cleaned up, reinstall the old pads and jam a bladed screwdriver in between them...give it a twist and both pistons will retract into the caliper. Then remove the worn pads, install the new ones, pump up the brakes and go ride. Just remember that the new pads will take a short time to bed on the rotors.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

ride hard take risks
    cbx is that related to Honda??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    No worries, gotta start somewhere right? Assuming that you are talking about hydraulic brakes, they have been adjusting themselves all along as the first set of pads were wearing thin. Basically, the pistons at rest are pushed out further than they were when the pads were new. To replace pads (with whatever compound you choose) you just press the pistons all the way back into the calipers, install the new pads, and off you go.

Before resetting the pistons, it would be a good idea to clean things up a bit...with mineral oil systems (like Shimano) a little work with Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol helps clean things up and keeps the pistons working smoothly. I've not used DOT fluid systems but others here can give you some tips on keeping them clean.

An easy way to reset the pistons...after getting everything cleaned up, reinstall the old pads and jam a bladed screwdriver in between them...give it a twist and both pistons will retract into the caliper. Then remove the worn pads, install the new ones, pump up the brakes and go ride. Just remember that the new pads will take a short time to bed on the rotors.

Excellent explanation! Thank you. The science of the hydraulics still puzzles me a bit. But that is a great write up and makes sense.

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    cbx is that related to Honda??

If you're asking about my username...no. lol
    It was my old handle on the Xterra message board when I owned one. Just stuck with me and easy to remember. CB are my initials.

ride hard take risks
    If you have never encountered a CBX moto your missing out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot