Thread: pad change

Philze

pad change

Any issues moving from resin pads to metallic pads on the same rotors?
    [SIZE=5]Aaron T. Collins[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nope...

the only thing I would recommend is a light sanding of the rotors to remove the resin/organic pad material. It will speed the bedding process. Part of the bedding process is the deposit of a thin layer of pad material on the rotor surface. If you switch without cleaning the old pad material off the rotor, the new pads will have to do it before they actually start to leave their own material on the rotor. Bedding will be faster if the new pads have a nice fresh rotor surface to start with. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it does help.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Philze

re

Sweet, thanks

[SIZE=5]Aaron T. Collins[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    what about organic? what type of grit & paper would you use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    some rotors do specify that they are for resin pads only. I have only ever seen this on shimano rotors though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious-George
    what about organic? what type of grit & paper would you use?
    It's a good idea when going from metalics to organics as well.

You can use paper or emry cloth, I prefer about 100 grit but a little finer will do as well. I usually use a sheet large enough for the rotor to fit on completely. Lay the paper flat on a table or bench and then lay the rotor on top of it. Then move the rotor in a circular motion on top of the paper while applying light pressure. You can also use a sanding block if desired. Just lay the rotor on the bench or table and lay the block flat on the rotor braking surface apply light pressure and move the block around the cirmumfrance of the rotor in the opossite direction of normal rotation of the rotor when mounted on the wheel. Go slow and keep at it until the rotor shows no discoloration (all nice and silver) from pad material. It won't take much so don't go crazy. Do both sides and then clean completely with a clean rag and alcohol.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"