Thread: Paaaaads..

Riiiiiide...

New question here. Paaaaads..

Gotta pad question, not a typical one though. There's a brake service center near by which moulds new pad material onto worn out disc brake pad backings.. everything from car-truck-motorbike and they can even do bikes. I was just there to get some work done on the Volvo so I asked them what these pads are made of, and all they really knew was that there is graphite and brass in them (they are greenish).

Does anyone have experience using pads like this for bikes?? Or at least what kind of characteristics the pads 'should' have considering their usual designation?

Oh, and btw.. try saying 'disc brake pad backings' 3 times fast.

Riiiiiide...

Bump...

Nobody has experience 'refurbishing' pads for their cars/bikes or knows what kind of material might be in the pads?

mtbr member
    Hmm, just bought a set of avid juicy sintered pads both front & back off ebay, $32 delivered to my door. Cheap, but not unbelievably so. It hardly seems worth the trouble to have the old ones resurfaced.

If you really want to know, you may be better off picking the brains of an industrial brake supplier. They are more knowledgeable as they usually work with raw sheets of lining material. Most of what's out there is organic resin, some with metal in it (usually brass) some without. It's often specified by friction coefficient, like R53 (mu=0.53), R40 and so on. Colour & metal content is usually enough to make a good guess as to what it is.

It would require a little experimentation to figure out the friction coefficient of your existing pads. You could try searching on brake linings at http://www.thomasnet.com

Good luck, and if you find anything out, please share

Riiiiiide...
    Well acually a friend has some old giant mph brakes for which he cannot find pads, so he'll probably try this method. I guess ill just post up when we see how they work. But im assuming that since they 'refurbish' pads for cars and motorbikes/scooters it should work quite well. And the price is about the same as buying new pads.. bout 32bucks for a set.
    Im really thrown off by the greenish color though, not sure what could be in there exactly.