mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Outer (thin) edge of rotor scraping Calliper

Hi,

I've just installed a set of Stroker Rydes with 203mm rotors. The set came with all the appropriate mounts etc. Basically everything runs fine however I noticed that the front rotor's thin edge was scraping the inner-top part of the calliper (hope that makes sense). This only seems to be happening when I brake, and I can hear a clicking sound when I do, I'm guessing that is the grooves in the outer edge making the noise. It doesn't do anything drastic to braking, however I noticed it is scratching the edge of the rotor. Is this normal? Should I just leave it and wait for the rotor/calliper to shave itself down? Or should I put some washers/shims on the mount to move the calliper slightly away from the rotor?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I don't know. It sounds like the wrong mount, though with a 203 rotor, that's hard to understand. I haven't seen a set of Rydes. Do they have any washers or hardware that might have been left out to set the caliper out a tiny bit?

mtbr member
    does the last picture of this thread sort of explain your situation?
    Have I broken my frame? What is flexing?!

I would just put some washers between caliper and mount to space it out but others have their own solution

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys.

vk45de: Thanks for that link,very informative. I'm probably going to try and get hold of some washers today just to move that calliper out a bit.

TNC: There were two washers that came with the kit however they were installed between the actual calliper and the screw head, and not between the mount and calliper. I found it odd that it was like this. Nevermind I will get hold of some washers soon.

Thanks again for the responses

mtbr member
    I used 2 presta valve finger nuts for mine - wanna pic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah a pic would be great thanks!

mtbr member
    Here it is. Notice the rotor spokes are still getting chewed on but not to the point were it shutters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    There are 2 things to check from that picture: is the adaptor the right one? Is the rotor compatible with the caliper?

Meh.
    Is the adapter for 203mm rotors? Do you have a 203mm rotor? Not a 200 or 205?

Is the adapter mounted upside down?

mtbr member
    it's a 165mm hayes rotor w/ a is PM-> IS hayes adaptor - w/ up arrow pointing up. I actually had to do the same w/ a manitou fork (no fvcking way to screw this up), thought i could get away by switching to RS, still off by the same ~ 4mm.

i hypothesize that hayes designed the contact location assuming the center of the hub is exactly where the center of the dropout is (the center of the circle formed by the lawyer tab) supposed to be but in reality, the hub center is a little above that -> rotor rides a little higher