Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Oro Puro or XT?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  hellocook 
#1 ·
Not happy with the elixer5 on my bike. I can get some Oro Puro for 100e, but they are 5 years old. I'm very happy with my The Ones so the formula's look interesting. Is 5 years too old, regarding rubbers and such? An other option is few month old XT's for about 150e. I never had shimano discbrakes. Your experience and/or recommendations are very welcome.

#2 ·
Since you like Formulas, here's a great price for Formula RX brakes, I got my pair from Purebike and it's been amazing.

I have terrible experience with (2009 model) XT brakes, but I do think that I'm the only one since almost everyone else raves about these brakes. They feel fairly "dead" (not much feedback) and not very powerful, even with 200mm rotors. I also had some problem with seals on one of the calipers that can only be solved by buying a whole new caliper, no spares available from Shimano.

My RX brakes have been much better, nice modulation and lots of power with 180mm rotors back and front. Quite noisy, though.

#4 ·
I hope the Puros are good. I just bought a used set off Ebay. I must have read every review every written about brakes and Formula in general and Puros in particular had the best reviews of the bunch. Almost no complaints from anyone. I don't even know what year mine are and they have not arrived yet, so I don't know the condition either. Seller said they were in perfect working order. they did have some cosmetic scratches in the pics.

Wayne

#5 ·
I have owned and used the Puro Oros for over 5yrs now. They still work great. I have never had to rebuild or replace any parts in that time. I too read every review before I bought mine and still read one if available. I wholeheartedly agree with the reviews on every ride. Light, true one finger power and excellent modulation.

My levers are a little loose at the pivot. nothing horrible, but sometimes I notice the rattle on bumpy stuff if I do not have my finger on the lever. For the record- I am about 200lbs riding a Ti softtail on mostly XC or AM type riding in SoCal the first 2 yrs and now Colorado. Approx 2000-2500 mi per year on that bike.

Good luck with your decision.

#10 ·
I have been using the Oro K24's for the past 4-5 years. (one step below the puro's) I am still very impressed with the power they have with a 160mm rotor. I bleed them twice and neither time did the NEED it, was just doing preventative maintenence. I have had to angle the SRAM triggeres down a little bit, (not parallel with brake lever), but this is mostly because the brakes are slammed inboard for 1 finger braking.

#11 ·
I have never had that problem with the triggers. I have used Gripshifts since they first came out. I am completely lost when I get on a bike with triggers.

I have only replaced the fluid once or twice in my 5yrs.

#12 ·
i have used the puro's for over 4 years and they have been wonderful. i do use the organic pads though ( i hate brake squeal). easy to realign when putting the wheels back on and easy to change the pads. zero brake rub and great power. bummer they dont make them anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.