mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Opinions- replacing Formula Oro Puro with BB7

Need some real world thoughts on my current brake replacement.

Realistic performance drop? Viable part solutions to maximize performance? Suggestions?

Situation: Six yr old Oro Puros have developed an unridable sponginess and have gone from me (decent home mechanic) to LBS to currently being sent to Formula for inspection and possible rebuild. Very real possibility they are done.

Shop recommending new XT hydros. I have been out of the loop on new technology for a few years. I have a Niner MCR monstercross with BB7 set up that I have used for approx five yrs and like. Good performance and simplicity a plus to me.

So I am considering replacing brakes on my Silk Ti 29er with new BB7 brakes/rotors if Formula gives me bad news. ( I already have a slightly used set of Avid Ultimate levers that need a home sitting in my garage)

Part of the reason is to keep cost down. My dream bike can not have dream parts anymore! But loss of performance on the trail is a real concern for me.

Usage: 50 yr old Colorado XC rider. (28yrs mtb experience/ 15yrs road). 215lbs. (230 w/camelback loaded). Not as aggressive or fit as I used to be but I still can abuse a bike on the trails when I want to. Still love to carve a nice singletrack, used to great braking from the Oros.

Reviews seem to be pretty positive of the new BB7 /rotor combos.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my request for info/help? Thanks.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

T.W.O.
    It would be noticeable. Oro puro feels really good and stopping power to match the looks.

What is your budget you may be able to get a set of shimano or Magura for not too much more than bb7.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

derp
    I concur with above, a pair of Shimano SLX or Magura MT2s shouldn't be much more than the BB7s and will offer great performance.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Honestly, budget is what I decide upon. Understanding wife. Just trying to keep the cost down as the process of getting seal replacement at LBS and the Formula inspection already has me about $200 in the hole. With the possibility of Formula telling me the brakes are not repairable.

My experience with the Niner/ BB7s has been positive but on a drop bar cyclocross type bike. Not exactly the same as my mtb experience and trails as with the 29er and hydro brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will do some research on the SLX. How do they compare to this years new XTs? As I mentioned, that is what the lbs is suggesting. I will look into the Maguras, but I have a unrealistic bias against Magura brakes due to a failure on a downhill 15 years ago. Crazy I know!
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

derp
    They're as powerful as the XT's, just a bit more porky and not "as nicely built" aka no fancy finishes.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

Ow!
    As good as Avid mechs are (and I used them in the day), they do not perform like your Formulas did. If you sent your Formulas to Formula for inspection, I bet they just repair them at little to no cost. Unless they are out of replacement parts, the old Oros should be repaired easily. They may be impressed that someone still wants to use them.

But, if not, then you have many options. I been using some MT2s on my XC FS lately (Performance for about $100 a set with rotors). Typical Magura--good power (not great), but with great modulation. I also just picked up some Formula RXRO (RX levers, RO caliper) at jenson for $179 ea and installed on the big bike. Only one ride so far, but same (or more) power with less modulation than my old Ones/Megas. Everyone raves about XT/SLXs, and they are on sale quite often (almost picked up some of those). Avid still seems a concern for a lot of people, but I have had good luck with the Elixirs. If you like the old Formula style, I think Cambriabike still has the old style Megas for about $150 each (my favorite brake).

And you may not need to buy new rotors, just try your old rotors (those new Formula rotors seem noisy--maybe too light). I mix brakes and rotors. But, you may need a new adapter (I think the Puros are IS).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Certainly hoping Formula is able to solve this puzzler. LBS mechanic already replaced seals and there was still an unridable sponginess. Internals look clean and normal. Several correct bleeds have not helped.

Everything looks like it should be working. Part of the reason Formula wanted to take a look at them.

It is interesting to see the variety of comments for and against the hydro to mechanical switch. Still undecided about which direction to go. (XT or BB7). Not really a "bad" choice either way. Both set ups will provide great braking for my XC purposes.

- new XT- workhorse hydro. more power, modulation and expense. Probably matches custom Ti bike image better.

- BB7- simplicity. cost (especially since I can use my Avid Ultimate levers from a long dead project). Only slightly less power and modulation. Especially on long descents. Wet weather rotor whine an issue to me too.

Prefer a resolution from Formula of course. Love those brakes!
    Last edited by FR hokeypokey; 11-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If they can't fix them, I would be surprised if Formula didn't hook you up with a great deal.