Scott is a tool.

Opinions please....XT or Juicy?

Hey guys, so it's upgrade time for my Reign.

What's peoples opinions out there, i've narrowed my choices down to Shimano XT or Juicy 5 or 7? I'm no really phased about the whole pad contact adjust thingo on the 7's, but that's my uneducated opinion.

So let rip team, what should i get?

Cheers,

Wal.

certified mtb addict
    What brakes have you got at the moment?
    I have XT M765's which do the job. My dad has Juicy 5's on his bike. The juicy 5s have much more power (rotors are all same size), but the lever feels a bit 'dead' - not really sure how to explain it - lever is kind of slow to return - wasn't really an issue though in my experiences.
    XT is dead easy to bleed, haven't bled juicys so not sure about them - though there is plenty of info around.
    You'd probably want at least a 185mm rotor on the front of a reign.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I like XTs for the reasons that Micka posted.. I also recommend running a big rotor up front.. I run 203mm rotors up front in both my "XT-braked" bikes
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-15-2007 at 07:03 AM.

banned
    It's comparing one finger brakes to two or three finger brakes.

Juicy all the way.

MTBR Demi-God
    I have not used Juicy's, so I am not going to be in a position to suggest you one over the other, but I do know that XT brakes are really nice- and I especially like the fact that they use Mineral oil, over DOT.

The performance of XTs have been really great as well.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    You can't really go wrong with either set-up. Both have great power and modulation, both are easy to bleed. The only factors I would choose is price and aesthetics. I'm sure you'll be happy with both.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Buddy has the Juicy 7, I have the XTR 965 ($89 from jenson).

No brainer XTR 965, the juicy is for ever needing to be centered and has a sticky piston.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    I have not used Juicy's, so I am not going to be in a position to suggest you one over the other, but I do know that XT brakes are really nice- and I especially like the fact that they use Mineral oil, over DOT.
    That's funny, that's exactly the reason why I'd prefer the Juicy - it uses real automotive brake fluid that's available everywhere. If mineral oil for brakes is such a good idea, how come no car currently in production uses it?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    That's funny, that's exactly the reason why I'd prefer the Juicy - it uses real automotive brake fluid that's available everywhere. If mineral oil for brakes is such a good idea, how come no car currently in production uses it?
    Because cars go faster and can boil mineral oil. Plenty of great brakes use mineral oil. Magura's also use mineral oil. Mineral oil doesn't absorb water like DOT fluid once opened. In my experience, Shimano and other mineral oil based brakes require little/no bleeded after the initial time. Avid/Hayes/Hope/etc DOT based brakes often require more periodic bleeding to keep the brakes working optimally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You need to go formula K18. These brakes are awesome and have plenty of power. These can be had for less than $300 for the set. These are the latest and greatest brakes and they live up to all the reviews as well. Go to the mtbr review section and check them out. The other brakes don't even compare.

mtbr member
    I'm riding J5's and I like them a lot with one exception. Juicy's can be noisy at times. I had to shim (pads were hitting the rotor arms) the calipers to quiet them down, but they're still pretty noisy when wet (most are) or when the trail is overly dusty. That said, the power is well worth a little noise from time to time. --Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I have no complaints on my Juicy 5s other than the odd squeak as was mentioned.
    I also run a 203mm front rotor and there's tons o power for DH stuff.