mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Opinions of disk front/ v brake rear

I have been running V brakes (Avid Ti) on my old Gunnar frame. The frame is V brake only and the factory will not add disk mounts to old frames. I only weigh 130lb and the Vs work fine. But this last race was lots of mud and rain. The rear brake went south and broke. Now I need to replace it. So I am shopping for a new rear V brake.

So I realized I could buy a new rear for around $30-40 and be done. Or I could take the opportunity to upgrade to disk front. I would put my front V on the rear. I figure I could find a used BB7 really cheap and a disk ready front wheel used. Front wheels donít take as much abuse so good used ones arenít too hard to find around here. They are often cheap if they donít have a matching rear to make a set. So I figure it would cost maybe a extra $100 but should work better in the rain/mud and on long fire road down hills. Any opinions or advice?

It's about showing up.
    My Bontrager Race Lite with Bomber Fork does not have disc tabs. I would change to a front disc in a minute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've run disc front/v-rear before and it was fine. Especially if you use a mech disc (like the BB7) because you get a similar feel. Even better if you use speed dial 7 levers so you can really tune the leverage to get similar response front and rear.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I've run disc front/v-rear before and it was fine. Especially if you use a mech disc (like the BB7) because you get a similar feel. Even better if you use speed dial 7 levers so you can really tune the leverage to get similar response front and rear.
    I have XTR levers. I think they adjust like that.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    I have been running V brakes (Avid Ti) on my old Gunnar frame. The frame is V brake only and the factory will not add disk mounts to old frames. I only weigh 130lb and the Vs work fine. But this last race was lots of mud and rain. The rear brake went south and broke. Now I need to replace it. So I am shopping for a new rear V brake.

So I realized I could buy a new rear for around $30-40 and be done. Or I could take the opportunity to upgrade to disk front. I would put my front V on the rear. I figure I could find a used BB7 really cheap and a disk ready front wheel used. Front wheels donít take as much abuse so good used ones arenít too hard to find around here. They are often cheap if they donít have a matching rear to make a set. So I figure it would cost maybe a extra $100 but should work better in the rain/mud and on long fire road down hills. Any opinions or advice?
    I worked with a guy in the early 00's that had a non-disc Gunnar. He had Carl Strong weld a disc mount and support on it and it looked great.

Just a thought

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Disc front + V rear seems reasonable to me. I'm sure it will be an improvement from V + V.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Another Disc plus V user, worked just fine, even felt similar when using BB7 and Avid V's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a BB7 160 front with a Tektro 857AL v-brake rear on my Monocog 29er and it works great even in muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have an Avid BB7 Front and an Avid Single Digit Rear with SD7 levers on my 98 Homegrown. Works well even in the pouring Florida rain and mud.