mtbr member
    May 2009

Opinions on the best lightweight rotor for BB7's

Here are some opinions on rotors that I have run with the BB7's over the last 5 years. All have been run with organic pads. I am a former XC race expert that is older and 15 pounds heavier (155 lbs now). I no longer have time to race, and my 23 pound 4" full suspension bike would probably put me more into the trail rider category if you had to label me.

Avid G2- Heavy and a little noisy.
    G3- Better, but still heavy and not much noise improvement.
    Hayes- Much like the G3 in weight and design, but a little quieter.
    Cleansweep X- Best of the Avid I have tried, but the large BB7 pads overlap. Still a little noise, but very acceptable in performance and weight.

What are your thoughts and experiences with other 160 mm rotors for the BB7 that are around or below 100 grams like Avid HSX, Hope Floating, Aligator, KCNC, and others?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Here are some opinions on rotors that I have run with the BB7's over the last 5 years. All have been run with organic pads. I am a former XC race expert that is older and 15 pounds heavier (155 lbs now). I no longer have time to race, and my 23 pound 4" full suspension bike would probably put me more into the trail rider category if you had to label me.

Avid G2- Heavy and a little noisy.
    G3- Better, but still heavy and not much noise improvement.
    Hayes- Much like the G3 in weight and design, but a little quieter.
    Cleansweep X- Best of the Avid I have tried, but the large BB7 pads overlap. Still a little noise, but very acceptable in performance and weight.

What are your thoughts and experiences with other 160 mm rotors for the BB7 that are around or below 100 grams like Avid HSX, Hope Floating, Aligator, KCNC, and others?
    Alligator Windcutters (Serrated) rotors are 92g for the 160mm. I use the 160 front and the 140 rear (60.5g) on all of my size XL bikes (and I outweigh you by 30 pounds). You have to use the Avid sintered pads or the EBC Gold pads with the Alligators, no ceramic pads.

For the price to weight ratio (not to mention performance), it's hard for me to justify another light weight rotor. $15 - $20 per rotor for the Alligators compared to $145 - $215 per rotor from Scrub, for example is a no-brainer for me.

Dos Niner with Crest/RR's

RovaledRIP

RacingJET

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I got the alligators serrated wavy's, I found they made the brakes kinda pulse, was very bad in the front put the stock Avid's back on, the rear It bothered me less so it stayed. WIcked un real light and super low cost. lasts fine the only thing I replaced right off are the bolts as the chrome peeled and rusted and the Avid Black/stainless ones seem to hold up better.
    Origin8 makes a super light rotor also that seems to pulse less but it's got a price tag too.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you needed CL rotors, what would you recommend? Ice-Tech?

Did I catch a niner?
    I currently have a set of XT rotors (ice tech) and would recommend these rotors for any application, the weight is decent. I had a set of the alligators while a very light rotor they bend real easy which will cause rubbing and then you just become annoying having to adjust all the time.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Actually, I will retract my earlier statement to some degree. I had 180 on the front and this afternoon while cleaning crap out of the garage I took a look at the Alli Serrated rotor, notice the wear spot was a tad toward the outside. thinking Avid is 185 setup not 180 I got tired of cleaning and decided to do a little experiment, I had another 160 sooo, I slapped it on the front wheel, cleaned the caliper and threw on the 160 adaptor. Brakes work great! I can notice still some very little chatter but one good fast downhill wicked drag brake and it's 80% gone So I'm guessing after a little brake in between the pad and the rotor and everything is good.

As to the mention of bending, ya, they are thinner and flex a tad, but that's actually good with the BB7's and the rear at least has warped much less than pretty much anything else I have use. and it's been on there for over 6 months now.
    I've tried a few rotors with the alum carriers but have found that the actual flex area is shorted a lot and the BB7's are designed to use the flex of the rotor. I had great braking for a short time but the out bound (moving) pad wore out really fast (less than 2 months) and faded quickly with wear. I tried a Magura and a Hope rotor and both had the same effect. Never tried the ICE but I'm guessing they will be the same. I did give the Magura's rotors to a friend with Hydro brakes and he loves them. .. just too stiff with single side moving brakes.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Huckin' trails
    Your take between 160/140 HS1 and 160/140 Ashima Airotor for the best braking performance/feel vs weight ? I'm afraid the AiRotor will not perform as good as a full surface rotor and will require more attention over time to keep them straight and good. On a light FS XC bike btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    We succesfully use Hope floating rotors with BB7.