mtbr member

Opening Avid Juicy 7 Pads

Hi there,
    I've been searching around the threads here, but can't find the info.
    The pads on my rear brake are VERY close to the disk causing them to drag a bit.
    Ive adjusted the caliper, but that doesn't really help my case, as the pads are too close.
    The front brake is no problem and there is enough space between pads and disk. Are there any short term fixes I can make? I'm racing tomorrow and no way of finding a bleed kit today (if that was to fix the problem).

Ive read that the In-out red knob on the levers doesn't move the pads at all, only the lever... so I guess that won't help.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Remove the wheel....

and insert a medium size flat bladed screw driver between the pads and gently twist. Watch the pads and keep twisting lightly until the pistons are fully pushed back into their bores. Reinstall the wheel and give the lever 4 or 5 quick firm squeezes. Check you clearance. If that solves your problem you are golden. If not then you likely have to much fluid in the system. The cure for this is about the same but with one addition. Before you start to push the pistons back, open the bleed port on the master cylinder. Use a rag to catch any excess fluid. Once the pistons are fully seated in the bores, put a drop of brake fluid on the bleed port opening and release the screwdriver. Reinstall the bleed port screw, reinstall the wheel and do the 4 or 5 squeeze routine to reset the pads. If you've done it right you shouldn't need to bleed the system. If that solves the problem you are good to go. If not then you've got something else going on and will either need to further diagnose the problem, or have a mechanic look at it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    thanks! I'll try it and see how it goes.