Still learning
    Dec 2006

One thing Hayes got right

My current bike came with Hayes HFX-9s standard on it, but I've just replaced them with Avid Juicy 7s. They seem better and more consistent, but I admit there is one thing I do prefer on the Hayes - the lever construction.

The main difference is that the Avid lever is a straight curve - the Hayes lever on the other hand has a dip in each lever, appropriately positioned for your index finger. This makes one-finger braking much easier for someone like me with smaller hands.

Is there a particular reason Avid hasn't implemented something like this on the Juicy levers? Is this perhaps a problem for most riders?

It's certainly something I'd like to see appear on the '08 Juicys.

mtbr member
    I agree with you on the feel of the levers. Try the Hayes carbon levers, they are even better! I believe Avid have designed the levers like that as they think it follows the most natural curve for your fingers, but there are mixed user opinions on this.

MTB Monkey
    Personally, I really prefer the feel of the J7 levers compared to my previous El Caminos. But I like to brake with just my middle fingers. With the deeper bend on the Hayes, they would either sit to far out to comfortably rest my finger on when open, or if I set the levers up closer, they would come in far enough to hit my index finger.

aka Jesse Palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    the Hayes lever on the other hand has a dip in each lever, appropriately positioned for your index finger. This makes one-finger braking much easier for someone like me with smaller hands.
    Adjust the contact point, lever reach, and position on bar = perfect one finger breaking for any hand size. The contact point adjust lets you move the lever reach in to a comfortable position for small hands without being limited by where in the throw the lever engages. Hayes lever reach is much more of a one-size-fits-all solution.