mtbr member

the one or r1 for 29er fs

im a clyde {250 without gear } with the need for new brakes on a ellsworth evolve 29er. i've read that some say the The One might be the strongest disk brake around. so i ordered a set from my lbs. im wondering if maybe i should have considered the r1 ? i went with 160 size all around . my riding is all xc trail. it's not to late to change. having some second thoughts

SS or Die
    neveo,

I ride a Sultan and have the Formula The Ones on board. I picked them for something different as I have Avids and Marta's on my other rides. I wanted the Turner for more All Mountain type riding and figured The Ones would fit the bill. They have been a great brake for the 6 months I have owned them. Im using them in conjuction with Aligator Rotors, 203mm up front and 180 at the rear. Im guessing they will be even more powerful if used with genuine Formula rotors or something with a greater pad contact. The Aligators although nice and light are not bringing out the best in these brakes. FWIW the brakes are stronger with my Avid 160mm rotors in place so Im imagining they will kick a$$ with better rotors.

One thing worth mentioning about The Ones is the lever contact, they take some getting used to as the lever doesnt apply strong pressure until they are closer to the grips. This isnt an issue as on long decsents I prefer the pad contact closer for less hand strain but it may not be for everyone.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    hey thanks, i might look to go 180 in the front and 160 in the rear and use their lighter rotors. i have the oro puros on a mojo sl and i really like them, but got a great deal on "the ones"