It's a Turner!

Which one: Marta FR or Louise Carbon?

Magura's 2011 lineup features the new Marta FR and the Louise Carbon. I don't know, these seem very similar. I am a bigger guy that likes to go downhill fast and need powerful brakes. I also despise brake fade, and DOT fluid. Anyone have experience with either or both of these?
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

T.W.O.
    Not yet on the Marta FR, but I've been using the Louise bat for 3 seasons now, never a problem, powerful, I'm getting a new design one as well. I was in the same situation recently, but the way I see it.

Yes, it's about the caliper size, and rotors size too. But more important how much/ and how fast the caliper can remove heat. Louise have bigger and more heat sink to do the job. Plus, I also like the adjustment feature on the Louise so I'd be going with that one.

If you want lighter brake then the Marta FR may be a good choice for you, but sounded like power is more important so do what I did, take the pill and go with bigger brake.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'd second what mimi said. I have been riding the Louise Carbons (same as the 2011s) for a few years now and they work well. The lever is not the greatest shape (not enough of a hook on the end of the blade imo), and the caliper is unnecessarily heavy with it's split design (the older Louises were better, again, imo), but they work reliably and well. You will probably want to go with a 203 mm rotor in front and probably a 180 in the back for good fade resistance and all the power you can handle.

I don't think the Martas are on the market yet. The old Martas were more finicky than the Louises, but the new ones look like they are borrowing a lot of design features from the Louises so that should improve things. I'd still get the Louise brakes for your application though.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I love my Louse BAT, '07 model.

8/7 rotor setup and I've never had fade issues anywhere (although the VentiDisc is clearly better than the SL for DH duties).

I say this with the background of mixed big-mountain-backcountry stuff in NM/CO, long stuff in AZ, and this past summer of hitting bike parks 2-4x a month (Diablo Freeride, Blue Mountain Ski, and Plattekill). I'm about 210 geared up to ride, btw. Max recorded speed this year was 49.9 mph (according to my gps in my camelbak).

Grams Light Bikes
    I think the Louise BAT"s are pretty darn sweet, and with your riding description and size they would be a great selection, can't comment of the Marta FR since they aren't out as yet. Fade issues just don't really happen on the Louise?

FYI: per my inside contact with US Magura, they are at minimum late Sept for the Storms, but with typical German fashion, I would presume later? I am waiting on the Storms and the Marta FR's for an in depth testing. Not even sure if they will have samples at Interbike?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Fade issues just don't really happen on the Louise?
    It depends on the rotor. I have basically boiled the crap out of my Louises when I tried running light Alligator rotors (180f / 160r) on the same hill that caused zero issues with my standard Louise SL rotors (again, 180f / 160r). I stopped and the rotor had turned black and the front caliper was hissing. The brake does great if there is enough mass in the rotors to dissipate the heat. It takes a lot of brake dragging to smoke a 180mm rotor, but 203 mm is good insurance for big boys on big hills.