mtbr member

One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters

Just after some suggestions as I thought some other folks may have run into the same problem.

Bike is kinda new and I'm slowly getting around to cockpit tweaks here and there yesterday I went to setup my brakes for 1 finger breaking, problem is the Shimano Deore shifters (stock) gear indicators are not removable and to have the brake leaver and shifters both in ideal positions are impossible. Here's some pics to better explain.

1. How I left them after mucking around yesterday not ideal.

2. This is where I would like them but the gear indicator won't allow it.

3. Shifters are too far too reach

4. Shifters are too close to happily grip handlebars.

5. Better image of shifters in question.

Options....

1. Hacksaw off indicators along dotted line in image 5 and tape up hole.

2. Indicator-less covers? Can you get these I couldn't find them in my searching yesterday.

3. Ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters-1.jpg  

One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters-2.jpg  

One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters-3.jpg  

One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters-4.jpg  

One Finger Brake Setup with Deore Shifters-40547.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have avid brakes and x9 shifters set up the same as yours and use one finger braking without a problem. Maybe SRAM stuff is setup different (shorter levers ? Or something ) unfortunately I can't really comment on shimano stuff cause I only use SRAM but maybe try a slightly different hand position or deal with having to reach your thumb more to shift.. Or spend a bunch and buy all new stuff

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hated the idea of having the shifters a mile from my hands at first, until I rode it like that for a while and realized it's not that much more effort to shift, and I no longer accidentally bump myself into a different gear!

I now like it much better than what I thought I liked.

Might just try the super far reach and see how you actually like it for a week or so.

-Eric

Huckin' trails
    Just get XT shifters without gear indicator... if you're gonna buy new shifters anyway...

Or open them, remove the gear indicator red pin, then cut the gear indicator off, and do some putty kob to seal'n'style it good...

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like to keep the shifters well away from the grips, too many time after a drop off ended up dropping to the smallest chain ring without realizing and hands scrunched up. My set up (with XTR shidters and Magura Brakes) is similar to yours the triggers are off the grips but the brakes are butted up to the grips a gap of about 1/2" or so. with the set up now I only have to move my thumb and forefinger to change up or down it is definitely more comfortable for me that way

mtbr member
    I went for a ride today with them setup like in the top photo, I ended up using my middle finger which was OK but didn't like it that much. Need to get them out a bit further and the shifter needs to come in a bit if it went out any more it would be dangerous shifting, it's really hilly where I am so easy shifting is a must.

Might do a hack job on the weekend if no one has any brilliant low budget ideas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh sorry misread your post, didn't see 1 finger braking bit, those brake levers ergo are pretty much wrong for 1 finger braking. The marta SL ones are great for it big kink in the middle of the lever but hardly a low cost fix, Looks like a hack job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    grip shift

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems the cheapest options are either to get used to a different position or hack off the indicator. Personally, I'd get a new shifter with a removable indicator (SLX has it, cheaper than XT/XTR) and sell the existing shifter on eBay.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Here is my setup, it is just perfect for me. 1 finger braking and I can reach the shifter just fine.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm with the above posters who move their shifters away from the grips on purpose. You get more room to grip while not risking accidental shifting by bumping the levers. A little bit of movement to shift is preferable to me than being cramped on the grips. Have you tried riding with the shifters in their current position?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member extraordinair
    FWIW....I broke one of the shift indicators after a crash, and hack-sawed the broken part off. Been running it that way now for 3 years, and the shifter still works flawlessly without it.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    FWIW....I broke one of the shift indicators after a crash, and hack-sawed the broken part off. Been running it that way now for 3 years, and the shifter still works flawlessly without it.
    What did you cover the hole up with?

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I'm with the above posters who move their shifters away from the grips on purpose. You get more room to grip while not risking accidental shifting by bumping the levers. A little bit of movement to shift is preferable to me than being cramped on the grips. Have you tried riding with the shifters in their current position?
    Yeah the position the shifter is in now is good, I think bringing the shifter in another 1cm would be perfect. The stock set up grip>brake>shifter all hard up was to cramped.

The break angle was a little off so I will change that and see how it goes, really don't want to spend 150(NZ$) for new shifters and avoiding the hacksaw would be sweet.