mtbr member
    Nov 2004

older xtr pistons are staying pumped out, need help

Hey Guys
    I've got a set of 07 xtr brakes on my bike and I need some advice with the front brake. I regularly clean the pistons by slightly squeezing them out and then cleaning them with Q-tips. Some times I will use rubbing alcohol which is ethanol on the Q-tips sometimes not. I then put a drop or two of mineral oil on the pistons and push them back in. This has always worked in the past but now I have an issue since I did this. It seems like in use the pistons are not going back in all the way and the brake lever is pumped up nearly all the way out. It doesn't start out this way on the ride but very soon into it I only have about 1/4 inch of lever before the pads make contact. Braking power also sucks. Maybe I somehow introduced air into the system. I have repeated the cleaning process twice and still the same. I figure I am looking at a bleed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    May 2006
    what jumps to mind is an overfull reservior????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    what jumps to mind is an overfull reservior????
    +1

I just went through that with a Juicy 7 and it was due to the system being overfilled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This issue wasn't happening before I cleaned the pistons. I clean the pistons because every once in awhile I get a clicking noise at the levers which seems to indicate that the pistons need cleaning. It goes away when I clean the pistons. What I could do is hang my bike in the stand and turn the reservoir horizontal to the ground and take the cover off and see what the level is. I will give that a go.
    Thanks
    Straw

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    This issue wasn't happening before I cleaned the pistons. I clean the pistons because every once in awhile I get a clicking noise at the levers which seems to indicate that the pistons need cleaning. It goes away when I clean the pistons. What I could do is hang my bike in the stand and turn the reservoir horizontal to the ground and take the cover off and see what the level is. I will give that a go.
    Thanks
    Straw
    Yeah that is very often the first step for a lot of things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks Jeffscott much appreciated

mtbr member
    You may have pushed the pistons out slightly too much and now have air in the system. Try bleeding them.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    thanks Tim, I probably have close to a 100 rides in since the last bleed so yeah I will start there.